Monitors for powered PA?

• Members

We have powered speakers running through a mackie mixer. We tried using a passive speaker as a monitor but it isn't working. Is a powered monitor required and if so, what are some reasonably priced powered monitor wedges? Please let me know, I am a PA noob. Thank you much!!

• Members

A monitor is a monitor is a monitor. Powered or passive, it's not the speaker's fault. So is the problem not enough gain before feedback? Two things. For monitors, run them off an Aux channel pre-fader. The reason for that is if you need to turn up that person in the FOH speakers, the change in the fader can't affect the levels in the monitor. (And are less likely to feedback.) You should have some system of EQ for the monitors to minimize feedback and maximize potential volume. (And the settings that work for the FOH, probably won't work for the monitors.) Only use the channel EQ for the FOH. (Front Of House or Main speakers. I really need to watch out for how often I use jargon.) Effects in the monitor increase the possibility of feedback. (ie - don't run reverb or delay into the monitors. Effects in the monitor won't help with harmonies or singing. I've long considered extra reverb to be the crutch of the bad singer. Good singers can get away with the lightest touch of it.)

• Members

That's likely and a problem. When you're new to running sound for your band, you don't understand why there are so many things in racks at concerts. With many of the new digital mixers, those racks will be disappearing. My DL1608 has a 31 band EQ on every output except the headphones. Other digital mixers are probably similar. The MixWiz I had for 5 years didn't have any EQ on the Aux outputs. (Or the FOH output either.) I started using DriveRack PA and PX for system EQ then. I could probably get away from them today, but I've gotten used to them.

• Members
Maybe they are plugging the passive monitor straight into the mixer with no eq or power amp in between?
This is what we are trying to do.. Plugging passive monitor right into the mixer in the "monitor out" of "monitor send" input. What's the proper way?

• Members

modulusman, I suspect you are correct, but there are box mixers which can run left/right mains, or parallel mains with monitor speaker out, depending on the position of a slider switch on the back. This is why I asked for the model number...so I can read the manual. :)

• Members

This mixer does not have any internal amplifiers. You will either need a power amp to run your passive speakers, or you will need to purchase powered speakers to use for your monitors. My recommendation is the latter.

Wes

• Members

So now that it's been established that you need one or more powered monitors, can we provide some monitor suggestions? Before that however, what are you using for mains? If they are "decent" and suitable for monitor duty, it might be prudent to buy the same box for monitors. That way you have some redundancy in case of FOH speaker failure.

Archived