Shure Super 55 or 55SH for the moving vocalist?

• Members

I'm a rhythm guitarist as well as the lead vocalist in my band, and a common problem for my live performances is not singing straight into the microphone consistently. I tend to have to look down towards my guitar while singing and sometimes I forget to sing straight into the microphone and I can't even be heard properly.

I tried out the 55SH today at band practice and I loved everything about it. I found that it had a slight wider pickup area and it still picked up my voice even when I wasn't singing directly in front of it.

I wouldn't mind forking out a little extra for a Super 55, but I read that the upgraded model is more of a directional microphone and singing directly in front of it is more crucial than the 55SH.

What are some of your thoughts?

• Members

I'm not really interested in headset mics because it'll just make me look ridiculous on stage and it'll restrict my movements when I'm headbanging.

The Shure SM58 (or SM58 Beta) is something that I've looked into before, but I've actually fallen in love with the birdcage series because of the way it looks so I think I'd prefer to get one of those.

Which is more unidirectional, the 55SH or Super 55?

• Members

The shure 55SH has a cardiod pickup pattern, and the super 55 has a supercardiod pickup pattern. This means that the 55SH should be more forgiving for vocalist who sings off the mic.

In my opinion most standard dynamic vocal mics (58, beta58, 935 etc.) beat the "birdcage" mics in terms of sound quality and resistance to feedback. Heil makes a nice sounding mic in the style you're looking for for a bit more money.

Good luck!

• Members

There are no hand-held/stand mounted mics that will work for you with the mic technique you describe. Your choices are to work on your technique or wear a headset. You said the headset is a no-go so your decision looks pretty simple. Now, assuming you improve your mic technique, there are much better sounding and feedback resistant mics than the 55 family UNLESS that's an important look for what you do. If so, I would look at the Heil offerings as IMO they sound better.

Archived