Hit by lightning, show goes on...

• Members

My house was hit about 3am Saturday morning, the fuses feeding my garage subpanel exploded <eek> and three others popped. I'll not know for a while what all was damaged but so far lost the big screen TV, DVR, 1 TB media server (drive might be OK?), a Roku, Chromecast and router (all stuff wired to that TV). Cable and internet out so I'm at Micky D's right now leachin' off their WiFi. Actually funny about the router, it seems to have just lost another port, it lost one a couple years ago in a storm that also killed a DVR on me.

OTOH had a great night Saturday just mixin' for a band - they also have a DL1608 and their high end Behringer rig sounded fine (whatever neo tops that replaced the old B412DSP's I have and powered 18" subs). The subs were solidly in the red by the end of the night but the tops were barely flickering their limit lights (love them front mounted limit lights on the tops :) ). I'd say the subs were about the same as some PV118's I've run in the past with 500w to each, adequate for a lead kick sound but not gonna blow you away. A second pair would have been needed to keep up with what the tops can do. I stayed just below ear plug territory, I'd guesstimate my TH-Mini subs are 2-4x what those Behringer subs are. I did have to completely redo almost every control on the DL1608, them guys sure like to EQ the heck out of everything just because they can - and the gain structure were FUBAR for sure. I pretty much flattened everything out and it sounded 1000% better. Beta 52 on kick sounded fine flat :) .

• Members

I like to use the car in overdrive analogy to sound systems pushed to the limits. Better to have a car engines rpms running low in overdrive doing 80mph down the interstate then running engine rpms much higher with a 411 rear end and the engine screaming wearing out and stressing all the bearings and

mechanincs.

Thumb on the bottom of the steering wheel doing 80mph @ 1500 rpm with Golden Earrings Radar Love kickin it :)

• Members
Fuses??
100 year old house LOL. Panel isn't that old, has 24 circuits - but uses pairs for 240V devices like the well, dryer, and feed to the garage. It had mostly 30 amp TL's loaded when I moved in, I switched most out for 15 amp TL's. The well fuses were right next to the ones that exploded and popped too - but fortunately new fuses got it working again. The one other fuse that popped feeds the old computer room, a couple desktops and a window A/C - I haven't investigated the damage in there yet as I seldom use them anymore.

Good news is that the terrabyte drive out of the fried NAS spins up at least, I ordered a external drive case for it to see if it still has data on it - it was full :( . And my previous NAS which died a while back worked with a new PS, "only" 500GB though ;) . Cat6 cables running from the basement "data center" to elsewhere seem to be fried as does the output port of my cable modem. I've a few spare routers and cables (don't ask LOL) and the cable company should replace the modem so I might be mostly out the big TV and Moxi DVR. I had a spare 27"(?) flat screen so can live with that for a bit ;) - the other was a cheap 42"(?) "Scepter (Walmart special).

• Members
I like to use the car in overdrive analogy to sound systems pushed to the limits. Better to have a car engines rpms running low in overdrive doing 80mph down the interstate then running engine rpms much higher with a 411 rear end and the engine screaming wearing out and stressing all the bearings and

mechanincs. Thumb on the bottom of the steering wheel doing 80mph @ 1500 rpm with Golden Earrings Radar Love kickin it :)

Yah use what Yah got and if it sounds good and lasts the gig it's "good enough" IMO :) . This was a real full-time band (gig 3-4 times a week), they were awesome :) . It was a new bigger club for them so they wanted to not suffer with "from the stage" mixing. They sure were gung ho, a trio my age and they carry full lighting and had a drum riser too - arrived at 5p for a 10pm show:

10312122_706929546016053_6319982514286366535_n.jpg

• Members
Sho' 'nuf :) . I didn't know that the Presonus app doesn't - how can you set comps and gates without that? :(

Precisely the question I asked the Presonus folks via their forum. Their answer: We'll put that on the enhancement list. That was 18 months ago. A pretty serious omission IMHO.

• Members

When I was still in High School, my bedroom was in the attic of the house. One night there was a thunderstorm. I was in bed ready to fall asleep when there was a bright flash and thunder that shook the house. The flash was so bright I remember being able to see white through my eyelids! I jumped out of bed to check on my parents and brother, everyone was asleep, so I just went back to bed.

Next morning, electrical devices are off, power seems out, until we check the panel and see a number of breakers tripped. Outside there were pieces of masonry in the yard, and a big hole where half the chimney for the oil burner used to be. The lighting hit the house literally less than 10 feet away from where I was laying. I have not met many people who can claim that experience.

• Members
I have not met many people who can claim that experience.

Well not exactly the same but when I was about 8 or so I was standing at the front door looking outside during a storm and the tree in our front yard (about 15ft away from the door) was hit by lighting. Knocked me on my butt according to my parents...

Archived