Monitor placement for certain mic's.

• Members

I have a variety of mic's in my bag. Gain before feedback is important to us in the monitors. I'll list my mic's and would like input on monitor placement for each. (1) Shure beta 58 (2) Sennhiser e945 (3) EV 767 (4) Audix om5

• Members

As needed to get the job done? Take a look at the polar plots for each mic and that will give you the answer for feedback due to direct radiation from the wedge but not from sound that may be reflected off of a back wall, a face, a hat brim or interaction with the PA.

• Members
I always aim at the back of the mic whatever it is.

Probably not the best practice ... but better than pointing it at the front :)

The null spot on super-cardioids is 120 degrees and not 180 degrees. However if you are getting more sound reflected off the back wall then that will become the gating issue.

• Members

There are also other issues to consider when placing microphones, for example, placing a monitor at the back of a microphone when the microphone user is also playing a grand piano is a non-starter.

I play piano and organ and have my monitor beside me for this reason. I have tested Beta 58 against SM 58 in my rehearsal space and I can get more GBF with the Beta 58, presumably because I'm closer to the null spot.

Archived