ELX118P DOB 1.28.14 DECEASED 4.30.14

• Members

Howdy. This is part of my office or B rig. It's used daily for music, and works great for gaming to, it was accompanied by 2 new ZLZ 12P's.

I was listening to some music after work yesterday, streaming from PC to zed mixer via usb, heard this scratch noise and that whole side when down and the DJ app locked up. Now the only time I've ever seen the DJ app lock up like this is cause of disconnection to the USB connection and since it's being streamed, often just reconnecting the USB, it won't sync until you either restart the software or reset the mixer (zed 10fx) or both.

First observation the front LED on the sub was off, oh ok maybe a power surge or something? so I restarted the sottware, plays, just the one side working sub side dead. Ok. Look back of the sub, power light is on. Hmm power reset, light on back on - check. Front led still off - check. Reset switch for front led, still off. Not good. Take input from sub go to ZLX, it fires and works. Ok run the output out of ZLX to sub, still no work.

I have never abused this sub and to be frank it never even get's warm when you give it some work, the ZLX 12'P amps get much hotter in comparison. My question is obviously whatever happened to it, it must have sent something back to the mixer to hork it up? Any ideas what was sent back to the inputs of the mixer and why did it make it "crash"?

I was thinking about taking the amp out, testing the driver with a 9 volt battery tonight just to verify that I suspect the amp went bad and call EV see if they would do a swap on the amp instead of shipping the whole box in. My thoughts are to unload this system ASAP and hopefully get my investment back. I would have thought the ZLX would have failed before the ELX, being the ZLX is cheaper line etc.....thoughts? I do know I have extended warranty on the sub so probably get the credit back and they won't want it back due to expense on shipping, I think it's time to get the JBL 18 XLF series and do it right the first time.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • CMS Author

1. Don't take anything apart until and unless you get authorization from EV to do a partial return.

2. Electronics do fail, and typically earlier rather than later within normal service life. This isn't indicative of poor design, build or component reliability. No reason to bail on the whole system.

• Members

Just a note on extended warranties. I've had one item fail past the normal warranty and not past double the normal warranty. I never buy the extended warranty. (Might purchase one for my Wife's next laptop. She's hard on them!)

• Members

Wynn: my wife goes through phones like your wife goes through laptops chuckle. Craig: thought the same thing will wait until they give me approval (ev). Aged: agree, they do fail agreed, we will see how the service side is for EV. But any idea why it kicked back signal to the mixer and shorted it out?

• Members

Just because an item is more expensive doesnt mean it wont fail. All manufactures expect a certain amount of warranty claims on a product because to build something with an almost perfect warranty history would require testing that would make the price prohibitive. I wouldn't touch anything just contact EV and see what they suggest to do.

• Members

Good manufacturers (EV is one) are careful with customer experience. I had a fairly new EAW cabinet that lost the CD diaphragm. Expected it to be my problem, but when EAW saw it, they said no obvious cause for failure and replaced it. Defects happen to the best of them. If EV finds it is one of the percentage that fail naturally, I have no doubt they will make it right. The big boys got big from reputation, and a BIG part of that is customer service. Wait before you do anything brash.

• Members

Axis oh no nothing brash, there is a reason why this is in my office and b rig, it's in the "R and D stages" or testing to see if lasts under daily use, will let you know how discussion with EV goes. I know Musican Friends warranty can be pathetic, the warranty goes like this> Ring, hi my speaker is blown, oh ok they will call you in 48 hours and we will email you a shipping label. 48 hours later nothing happens. Ring ring Hi speaker still blown, where is my stuff? they didn't call or email? Oh I'm sorry sir, we will escalate it etc etc, then you ask for a manager then you will get an email and a ph # for the outsource repair shop who in most cases are out east and not always the friendliest of characters. Unfortunate but true, that is why I think I'll call EV support and just deal with it that way. Keep you posted.. :) Thank you for the posts everyone.

• Members

I would also check a few things on your computer and DJ app:

I would take a look at the computer's voltage readings in the bios.

If the voltage reaings are off more than 5% from spec, the computers power supply may be bad. Then go to my computer (or this computer in Win 8), right click and select Manage.

Then go to Event Viewer and open Windows Logs,then open System Logs. Look for an event at the exact time of the failure. It will tell you if you had a problem with the computer, and what the problem was.

Also open up Application logs while in Windows Logs, go to the Application Logs for the dj program and look there for an app failure.

Then check your device manager for problems with USB controllers and Sound Devices, system devices.

A DJ app implies heavy bass music. Was the DJ app playing a high gain bass part or keyboard part? Maybe the amp went into protect mode and shut itself down to prevent furthur damage.

Call EV support.

Do you have a surge protector connected to both the computer and to the PA?

• Members

Aged, I have to call musicans friend, first phone call was whoever the parent company of EV was, Bosch? They dind't know who EV even was, then directed me to ev tech support then directed me to a dealer in the large city 3.5 hours away, that dealer laughed at me said I should call musicans friend and I should have bought stuff direct from them (expected that). The warranty company did respond and sent me a shipping tag and instructions, so all I have to do is box it up and get it out the door. Their turnaround in the past is minimum of 2 weeks, this is the main reason I get extended warranty on the big stuff, they pay shipping both ways, nice.

Bill maybe I have the wrong tech support #, you are dealer correct? I think it may be different for dealers on the support side, either way I have to go with the support through the vendor I chose I am assuming.

Happy: DJ app is an old app called PCDJ, does video audio karaoke, etc really not much different than windows media player. I don't like EDM rarely if ever listen to it. I was actually listening to 1987 album from a band called Helix which is heavey metal for the time (they are coming to a concert near here end of May very excited always wanted to those guys). I have Win 7 not 8 and I just bought the pc at Christmas, never had an issue, it's a gamer rig. My zed I have everything at 0 rarely do I give the music any gain, maybe some lows on older music if it's lacking but rare. What I'm trying to state is I listen to all music at stock, play at stock, and live at stock. Either way if I surge of something was sent down the line woulnd't a person thing the onboard limiter would take the hit? The zlx's did? I do have a cheap power strip used for the power supply and it did not crash.

Happy: good idea on the event viewer and device mangler though never thought of that, I will check!

The service shop in NY stated it's ok to send just the amp as they do it all the time she said, asked if they could send that in writing? No go. I decided to not open it up, although I'd like to but just not worth the risk.

• Members

Helix , very nice! Anyways when you get a service report on what went wrong be sure to share. I have 4 of the ELX118p and I've never experienced a hick-up with them so if there's a weakness I'd like to know about it before I have problems. Helix \m/!!

• CMS Author
Aged, I have to call musicans friend, first phone call was whoever the parent company of EV was, Bosch? They dind't know who EV even was, then directed me to ev tech support then directed me to a dealer in the large city 3.5 hours away, that dealer laughed at me said I should call musicans friend and I should have bought stuff direct from them (expected that). The warranty company did respond and sent me a shipping tag and instructions, so all I have to do is box it up and get it out the door. Their turnaround in the past is minimum of 2 weeks, this is the main reason I get extended warranty on the big stuff, they pay shipping both ways, nice.

Bill maybe I have the wrong tech support #, you are dealer correct? I think it may be different for dealers on the support side, either way I have to go with the support through the vendor I chose I am assuming.

Happy: DJ app is an old app called PCDJ, does video audio karaoke, etc really not much different than windows media player. I don't like EDM rarely if ever listen to it. I was actually listening to 1987 album from a band called Helix which is heavey metal for the time (they are coming to a concert near here end of May very excited always wanted to those guys). I have Win 7 not 8 and I just bought the pc at Christmas, never had an issue, it's a gamer rig. My zed I have everything at 0 rarely do I give the music any gain, maybe some lows on older music if it's lacking but rare. What I'm trying to state is I listen to all music at stock, play at stock, and live at stock. Either way if I surge of something was sent down the line woulnd't a person thing the onboard limiter would take the hit? The zlx's did? I do have a cheap power strip used for the power supply and it did not crash.

Happy: good idea on the event viewer and device mangler though never thought of that, I will check!

The service shop in NY stated it's ok to send just the amp as they do it all the time she said, asked if they could send that in writing? No go. I decided to not open it up, although I'd like to but just not worth the risk.

From what I can see, EV covers shipping both ways within warranty period, which is 3 years for powered speakers. What's the extended warranty get you (how long, added benefits, etc.)?

Google "Electro voice warranty" and see the pdf file describing service.

• Members

Helix indeed, old geezers now but still have the same front man. Looking forward to the show, they have April Wine and Honeymoon Suite on the same night as the "canadian invasion" they are calling it.

Craig: this is the extended "pro coverage" warranty MF sells with the product, covers it for a year, I think it even covers stupid mistakes. Typically this is how it works, you send it to shop, either they decide to fix it for X and bill MF or MF give you a store credit if not cost effective to repair. It's very smart for used gear as if there is an issue with any used gear normally it's found right away, or that's been my experience.

I will probably get it shipped Mon or Tues have to find a box for it....keep yall posted.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I had something similar happen to a Yorkville 18" sub. Called Yorkville (one number - no "You have to call xxxxx", then they overnight me the amp module and in 15 minutes I am back in low sound. Total time down was 2 days.

I just had a Yamaha amp go bad, out of warranty, spent two days calling different numbers and being told different things then finally get the repair guy who tells me their 90/hr fee will cost far more than the amp costs to fix it and there was no guarantee the amp would work after they worked on it at the 90 per. Never will purchase another Yamaha product. Folks sometimes purchase just based on price and have no idea about the support they are supposedly to receive with the product.

• Members

The service has been good in this case, they received it on a Friday, parts ordered Monday, that tells me they looked at it right away, however I PAID for this as an extended warranty so it should be. As far as going direct, I really don't have any direct experiences with any of the vendors to effectivly compare service execept the experience I received here.

I do know one thing, I hate amplifiers, I swear they are out to get me sometimes, that is always the part that fails on me anyway....

• Members
I had something similar happen to a Yorkville 18" sub. Called Yorkville (one number - no "You have to call xxxxx", then they overnight me the amp module and in 15 minutes I am back in low sound. Total time down was 2 days.

I just had a Yamaha amp go bad, out of warranty, spent two days calling different numbers and being told different things then finally get the repair guy who tells me their 90/hr fee will cost far more than the amp costs to fix it and there was no guarantee the amp would work after they worked on it at the 90 per. Never will purchase another Yamaha product. Folks sometimes purchase just based on price and have no idea about the support they are supposedly to receive with the product.

Yamaha powered speakers have one of the longest warranties that I have seen, 7 years. If I was in the market for new Speakers the DSR 12s would be at the top of my list.

Archived