Shure drum overhead mics

• Members

I have 2 PG81's that I have right now, but dont really care for them. A friend is an authorized Shure dealer so he can get me a good price on Shure mics and will be placing an order soon. I am thinking of possibly picking up a pair of better mics but I'm not really sure what give the best "bang for your buck" if you will. Are the SM81's worth the extra $$ over say the SM137? Or do the KSM137's work just as good in a live application (I like that they are smaller)?

• Members

Somewhere on this forum there are threads about overheads, so if you find them, you'll notice I'm repeating myself here. I like my Audiotechnica at4031's for drum overheads, and other things too. However, unless I'm recording I don't use them. I wind up using something less expensive. There are some bargain pencil condensers out there, just can't remember the good ones.

I know the PG line can sometimes stand for Poor Grade instead of Pretty Good, but are they really that bad? They might be, I'm just asking. At $100.00 or so each that's getting expensive for a budget overhead.

The SM81's will sound better, but is it worth it to you? That's the question. See if you can find the old threads on overheads - might be a good starting place.

• Members

SM81 work great. So do the KSM series . You want small, otherwise I'd suggest the KSM32. In a live sound context I'd simply make the PG81 work. They're not as smooth as the sM81 but some subtle cutting of the 4-6k area and they'll work. They're really not horrible. An SM58 isnt as good for drum overheads either but they have contributed to the OH sound of a zillion events!

• Members
Is this for live? If so, there are a ton of good options... the PG not being one of them.

Here's one that I have tested out pretty thoroughly with plenty good results: http://www.audiopile.net/products/Microphones/300C/300C_cutsheet.shtml

Yes, for live applications.

I was specifically looking at Shure models since thats what I have access to at a discount price, but if the Audiopile OH's are a significant step up I will probably just go that route since they are really inexpensive

• Members

Yes, for live applications.

I was specifically looking at Shure models since thats what I have access to at a discount price, but if the Audiopile OH's are a significant step up I will probably just go that route since they are really inexpensive

Discounts don't matter, only the end price. Is the discount how you ended up with the crappy PG series? If so, there's your proof.

• Members

I probably bought my PG mics like 10 years ago before I really knew anything about live sound. All I looked at way back when was just the $ amount and not performance. I have just put up with them for this long, but I think that its probably time to make a step up. That's why I was asking about new mics. And like I said, if the audiopile mics are a significant step up, I will pick up a pair.

Archived