The 5 most important things your help should know.

• Members
When hiring a tech assistant/cable monkey whatever "term of endearment" you prefer, what would be the 5 most important qualities/qualifications for you ?

um...: a clear understanding of who the customer is (and that my check is good)? I'd say that's a really good start.

Secondly: A clear understanding that a basic definition of a job is someone doing something for a customer because the customer either can't or won't do it for themselves, and the customer wants the job done and is willing to pay someone to do it for them.

So long as the employee expresses that they have a clear understanding of who the customer is and that they the employee are working at a job... the other qualifications are a fairly distant secondary consideration as far as I'm concerned.

• Members

Top Five

1. Even tempered, and able to roll with the punches

2. No drug (alcohol included) problems

3. An ability to speak without swearing

4. Honest and trustworthy

5. An ability to respect the chain of command.

Things like a good work ethic, cleanliness, punctuality and technical skills can often be ironed out, and/or I find that folks with the top five are usually clean, punctual, hard working individuals. I've never had to fire people for the immediately preceding things, but I have had to for my top five YMMV.

For instance, I had to fire a guy who was smoking crack in the dressing room, yelling at the lead singer, and challenging my every move. I had to fire another guy because he got so wasted he fell asleep under the mixing desk. I had to fire another guy because he threatened to beat up a member of the audience. And so on and so forth.

• Members

1. someone who knows what a belt is for, and uses it.

2. someone with a working cellphone you can text/call on the jobsite

3. someone who will show up, on time

4. someone who can communicate with you AND the customer

5. someone who will be cautious and alert others to safety hazards (prevent lawsuits BEFORE they happen)

• Members

So long as the employee expresses that they have a clear understanding of who the customer is and that they the employee are working at a job... the other qualifications are a fairly distant secondary consideration as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed, and I'd go even a little further -- this comes from the time I was working as an advertising photographer hiring assistants. Along with all the other instructions, the big one was "You are here to make me look good."

That covers a lot of things, including catching any small mistakes I may make (did he leave the lens cap on? Is there film in the camera?"). In that sense, it goes beyond just following instructions -- it's also watching my back. It's hard to submerge your own ego to function like that on the job, especially for some guys in their 20's. But I would always point out that it's critical to understand how this works, because these guys were all planning on being in my position as the boss, one day.

• Members

It's hard to submerge your own ego to function like that on the job, especially for some guys in their 20's.

Further to that thought, I'll suggest that in "this profession" the help's gotta understand "we're not getting paid to party".

Archived