Controlling MIDI devices live

• Members

Hi Folks,

I am exhausted. Please bear with the long post.

I have forever been trying to learn how to insert MIDI devices controller events into my MIDI song files. I can't find any info or tutorials and I not even sure I'm using the right terminology.

Here is what I want to accomplish: While I am playing a MIDI backing track (with real recorded instrument audio tracks in the file) I want the file to send out MIDI commands at specific points in the song.

For Instance, I play acoustic guitar and sing through a TC Helicon Voice Play Live GTX (Harmony Pedal) while reading lyrics and chord symbols using OnSong on my iPad. So I want to play the MIDI backing track from my laptop and have it send commands to OnSong to advance the scroll at the right time in the song and also send a command to my GTX to turn on and off the harmony at the right time. I would also like to send lighting cues duiring the song but that is not essential.

Here is what I know: OnSong responds to MIDI commands as does the GTX. What I don't know is what do I write in the MIDI file? I have an Windows Laptop running Music Creator 7. I have the MIDI backing tracks already minus the controller commands.

Can any one help or even point me towards help?

• Members

So what I do is to specify a MIDI channel in May sequences for the iPad. Then I make a program change in the sequence, one for each unique song. Then I assign each file in OnSong with a MIDI program change. That way when I start a sequence it calls up the lyrics to the song automatically. I connect to my iPad via wi-fi so I don't even need a cable from my sequencer to the iPad. It didn't work with earlier versions of OnSong, bit it works nicely now.

• Members
So what I do is to specify a MIDI channel in May sequences for the iPad. Then I make a program change in the sequence' date=' one for each unique song. Then I assign each file in OnSong with a MIDI program change. That way when I start a sequence it calls up the lyrics to the song automatically. I connect to my iPad via wi-fi so I don't even need a cable from my sequencer to the iPad. It didn't work with earlier versions of OnSong, bit it works nicely now.[/quote'] Way cool Don. It's obvious that your often stated defense of the value of automation in audio tools goes beyond your professional (day job) responsibilities.

• 1 year later...

Archived