Bi-amped box mixer rig

• Members

Where did the older posts and topics go?

Never-the-less... I took the forum members advice and put together a 3000 watt bi-amped box mixer rig... used it for the first time tonight playing a little hole-in the wall gig, and it worked outstanding... just the bees-knees.

• Members
3000w bi-amped box mixer is this a new product your gonna be making ?

No Tommy.

It was a topic I raised last year if such a thing existed, being a bi-amped box mixer. The seemingly overwhelming forum members' advice was to simply rack-up a poweramp with a "regular" box mixer, so I threw a Peavey IPR amp inna small rack case with a Carvin XR-1200L box mixer, along with a little Speakon patchbay. The FOH speakers are JBL SRX 712M's mid-highs over EAW SB330 subs... and 4 ea. "batch manufacturer" 10" wedges that are loaded with fairly capable Eminence drivers. It's a pretty spanky rig for the small size, light weight, quick set-up & tear-down and "simplicity".

• Members

No Tommy.

It was a topic I raised last year if such a thing existed, being a bi-amped box mixer. The seemingly overwhelming forum members' advice was to simply rack-up a poweramp with a "regular" box mixer, so I threw a Peavey IPR amp inna small rack case with a Carvin XR-1200L box mixer, along with a little Speakon patchbay. The FOH speakers are JBL SRX 712M's mid-highs over EAW SB330 subs... and 4 ea. "batch manufacturer" 10" wedges that are loaded with fairly capable Eminence drivers. It's a pretty spanky rig for the small size, light weight, quick set-up & tear-down and "simplicity".

​Gotcha thought you may have brain stormed you a new product.

• Members

​Gotcha thought you may have brain stormed you a new product.

I thought I did... 'cept nobody seemingly makes it... you gotta assemble it.

It seems like there's a market for it. In our area "clubs" are becoming scarce (all but non-existent). The seemingly popular socializing hang-outs are masses of little hole-in-the-wall bistros, internet coffee houses, brew-pubs... that sort of thing. Typically, if the venue has a stage, it's postage stamp sized... there might be a (one) power outlet "available" somewhere in that vicinity of the building... available "area" parking might be within a few blocks... forget parking in the alley to unload gear as the alleys are as busy as the streets since the city planners are seemingly doing what they can to discourage traffic actually on the streets "downtown". The typical performance venue might only seat a hundred... but a glass of wine or artisan beer starts at $4.50... an "assemble it yourself" sandwich results in not much change back from a 10 dollar bill. And "musicians" typically "just want to play" (nothing all that new there)...

Anyhoo: There is a seeming need for small, relatively "simple" sound systems that deliver good performance... a couple hundred watts certainly doesn't cut it... and subs are pretty much a must. Besides: decent subs are available that make for better speaker stands when dealing with a 6" high postage stamp sized kidney shaped stage than speaker stands. Good performance in the PA system seems to have a market as there does seem to be discerning audiences of quantity that seek out quality live entertainment. Those crowds seem to be predominately "empty nesters"... mid 40's to mid 60's... and they will cram a bistro to capacity plus and throw money at the wait-staff. They come early (6:00pm - 7:00pm) and stay till 10:00pm - 11:00pm... and lay down some serious cash enjoying themselves, but they do seemingly seek out quality. They don't want to go home bleeding from the ears, but the vocals and leads have to be clean and clear, the bass and drums have to be solid and punchy, the "sound" should be at least as good as they're used to from their vehicle sound system or home entertainment system... and to deliver that does require a capable system.

The box mixer idea meets the simplicity and small package need, but generally lacks sufficient power, lacks bi-amp capability, mono FOH is fine (stereo "mains" is seemingly pointless... sort-of), and would be "nice" if it had more than 2 monitor mixes.

• Members

You're onto something here. A few months ago put an 01v in a rack with a carvin 4ch amp and a patch bay on the back. There is now way to do this powering subs, not enough power at 200w @8, and no crossover. But it's very flexible as full range plus 2 or 3 mixes and omni outs are used so the xlr outs can drive a separate FOH amp rack if needed.

• Members
You're onto something here. A few months ago put an 01v in a rack with a carvin 4ch amp and a patch bay on the back. There is now way to do this powering subs' date=' not enough power at 200w @8, and no crossover. But it's very flexible as full range plus 2 or 3 mixes and omni outs are used so the xlr outs can drive a separate FOH amp rack if needed.[/quote']

I do believe there is a market for PA systems that are as intuitive and easy to use for a musician as a Fender Twin... and delivers the punch and clarity of a Fender Twin... only vocal oriented. I personally believe that a simple box mixer system meets the market except for the fact that powering subs and more than 1 or two monitors is largely ignored by the industry... and subs have basically been a must for most any band's live performance PA system for how long? 30 - 40 years?

Just: Mic in here, speaker cables out there... with volume knobs and some crude tone controls, and a power cord seeming works for some... seemingly possibly many... so-long as real results can be achieved.

• Members
Me too! :)

Don: I'd be happy to talk concerning my perspective as you're were you are and I'm seeming in one trench where audiences are throwing money at the wait staff of which every (or the) seemingly successful bistro has seen fit in the downtown area to offer quality entertainment (on a Sat night after payday anyway). I do believe that if you follow the money you can pander to a marketable sector of the populace.

• Members
Don: I'd be happy to talk concerning my perspective as you're were you are and I'm seeming in one trench where audiences are throwing money at the wait staff of which every (or the) seemingly successful bistro has seen fit in the downtown area to offer quality entertainment (on a Sat night after payday anyway). I do believe that if you follow the money you can pander to a marketable sector of the populace.
Agreed. ...but I think "cater to" would be my word preference. Very similar to the Tap Room I work. A business model worthy of notice by the MI manufacturers.

• Members

I do believe there is a market for PA systems that are as intuitive and easy to use for a musician as a Fender Twin... and delivers the punch and clarity of a Fender Twin... only vocal oriented. I personally believe that a simple box mixer system meets the market except for the fact that powering subs and more than 1 or two monitors is largely ignored by the industry... and subs have basically been a must for most any band's live performance PA system for how long? 30 - 40 years?

Just: Mic in here, speaker cables out there... with volume knobs and some crude tone controls, and a power cord seeming works for some... seemingly possibly many... so-long as real results can be achieved.

Well I think Yorkville once made an attempt with their EX2 systems, but lacks a mixer section. Which the box mixer design could use needed upgrade design. Although might be tough sale competing against your just add a mixer and plug in and play active cabs speaker systems.

Archived