Has Anyone Heard from калина "Kalina"?

• Members
I'm referring to our Ukrainian friend who's name is written in Cyrillic. I haven't seen any posts from him since the unrest escalated' date=' and our site changed.[/quote']Yah, I hope he's OK :( . Besides his translations (mechanical?) being often "fun" ;) he seems like a really nice guy :) .

• Members

I have some good friends in eastern Ukraine (Lugansk in the Donetsk region). Reports are that for your average Joe it's just hyper expensive energy costs. Unless Kalina was in Krimea (closer to Russki spelling), he's probably OK (and even then, still OK, just out of touch). I sort of get the picture of the U.S. during the Viet Namm era. Lots of protests by a few (and a few that have turned somewhat violent) but for most folks, it's just a messed up system and place to live right now. Interestingly enough, I haven't heard from my friend in the last few weeks either (we sort of opened a dialoge when this mess started to happen). I wonder if their internet isn't being messed with (it was never that great anyway) and communications blocked. Just a thought.

• Members

Not surprisingly, today's headlines for the region were of the "Russia lobbying to siphon off billions in EU aid to Ukraine to pay their overdue natural gas bill". Coincidentally, I just finished reading the John Varley book Slow Apocalypse about a world where all of the world's oil reserves suddenly turn to unrefinable solids and explode like Peeps in a microwave... an especially interesting read, especially if you are from LA or at least familiar. I also have no doubt that unless someone is using satellite internet service there then their service is being monitored, if not manipulated.

• Members

On the subject of those MIA, Vinny D is local to me here and has shut down and is selling off his remaining gear. He sold off the racks and stacks rig he used to have a few months back and was going to just use his smaller lighter speaker pole rig - but I guess that's being sold too.

Jeff Grocki has been busy with gigs about every Friday and Saturday, mostly with one great band he works with. So probably doesn't have time to mess with HC anymore. He just ordered a pair of RCF 8006 as an "upgrade" to his four JBL PRX618-XLF :) . Kinda funny, he'll be in a club I've done with a pair of PR-Subs with his four XLFs this weekend LOL.

Oh, and I'm off to Disney World in the morning, a 1-1/2 day drive each way. Worth the extra time to not hassle with airports, TSA, etc IMO :) . I'll be back late the Sunday afterwards - but maybe I'll check out the mobile UI on my iPad Mini and post some photos of Mickey on the "this forum sux" threads ;) .

• CMS Author

Did some more brainstorming, and decided to see if his old posts show up in existing threads. They do. His name is displayed as we've seen it..."калина". However, if I click on his ID/name and go to his profile, it's displayed: Калина

When I then search our user list for Калина I found him there. I've reported this weirdness to Admin...I'm sure they'll get right on it.....right after the 7,935 other issues.

• Members
....he wrote back that the US sanctions were preventing access to our forums from Russia.

If that's the case the US is going about this sanction thing all wrong. Internet access should be limited to ONLY this forum. The resulting frustration would end the situation quickly!

• Members
Hah! Great....I emailed Kalina this morning' date=' and he wrote back that the US sanctions were preventing access to our forums from Russia. Good to see there's a way around it, and very glad he's well![/quote'] Yah, I guess denying them access to HC will fix 'em good LOL.

• Members
Awesome! Maybe you can just let us know which town or area you are in? Stay safe :) .

I live in Russia, Rostov region, it is not far from Ukraine - 250 km, there is no danger, came to my fellow refugees from Ukraine, they escaped from the Nazis, who seized control ....

My friend - a programmer helped me make registration here and said that sanctions have nothing to do, you just do not clutter up your computer virus software to clean it more often ....

Now I am ashamed that I do not think about American computer services ....

• Members

Welcome back, Kalina! Craig, based on your garbage patterns, I believe that the Lithium usernames are stored in UTF-16 or UCS-2 in the database, but the current software is interpreting your input as ISO-8859-1 or something closely related. It's actually pretty easy to fix those sorts of problems, and to properly support all character sets, even "retroactively", but there is a lot of misunderstanding out there, with developers thinking it's harder than it really is.

Archived