4 x JBL PRX625 .. best configuration

• Members

Hello!!

I just bought two JBL PRX625 additional

I would like to know the best configuration.

Side by side?

One over the other?

Having tried myself in my basement .. both configurations give completely different results ..

Thank!

• Members

In practice, one over the other is pretty tough to achieve safely. Side by side, hopefully you need the additional coverage to splay them apart at least 20 or so degrees. That will help with uniformity of coverage as well as minimizing any possibility of comb filtering artifacts (may not be a problem but you should be aware of it).

Probably not a speaker configuration that I would have recommended however, there are (or were) better options...

• Members

Coverage is the key word here for you. You have a 90 degree horn (horizontal) horn in that box. This will give you good coverage for most indoor clubs. What happens when you put two cabinets together pointed out at the audience is what is called overlap of identical frequencies. What you want to do is minimize this by splaying your cabinets to minimize overlap. What takes place is a comb filter effect if you do not try to minimize overlap. Putting the cabinets side by side up against each other and then pushing one cab to the left and one cab to the right right (splaying) keeping the backs of the cabs touching is optimal. In large wide areas you can get the hang of running some music through the system and walking around the areas where the crowd will be and listen for good coverage in these areas. Splay your cabs on each side how you need them to get full coverage of the audience area. When you stand in front of a loudspeaker with music running through the system walk to the left or right of center and listen for high frequencies to start dropping off. The farther to the left or right you walk the more pronounced the high frequency drop off will occur. What you want to do is have that high frequency NOT drop off in the audience area and this means moving cabinets and splaying cabinets for good coverage.

You can even toe the inside cabinets in towards the center of the room for good coverage up close to the stage. Then run the outside boxes straight out into the room

for good coverage on sides and to the back of the room. Do not be afraid to experiment and practice moving boxes around. Run some good music through the system

and have at it.

• Members

In practice, one over the other is pretty tough to achieve safely. Side by side, hopefully you need the additional coverage to splay them apart at least 20 or so degrees. That will help with uniformity of coverage as well as minimizing any possibility of comb filtering artifacts (may not be a problem but you should be aware of it).

Probably not a speaker configuration that I would have recommended however, there are (or were) better options...

Hi agedhorse im sorry for my english ... lol

For additional security, I could add tripod with a strap on the back of each box on the top.

I already do some test in my house, I prefer the quality of sounds with a configuration "one over the other" vs "side by side", but probably depend room configuration.

This a completely different sounds, one over the other vs solo use

-one over the other

I earn a lot of finesse and a lot of acute low

-For side by side

a warmer sound? more medium

I intend to use one over the other during big event with speeches in a deep room for a best coverage.

Having try JBL PRX618, I find simpler, lighter and more powerful with 4 x PRX625 vs than 2x prx625 and 2 jbl prx618, for the low, med and high

But I'll do the real test in real conditions this week

I'll take a 2 hour for test to check everything with some friends

Hi Pro Sound Guy

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure I understand everything.

In addition, google translation translates all wrong with words like taxi?

• Members

I know Jeff runs the 625's splayed no prob - each over an XLF. Dunno how you'd get them up high enough without subs to stack them on unless you had a high (4 foot +) stage? In smaller clubs with no or an extremely short stage he uses one over a pair of XLF's (usually on their sides) to get the height as they aren't pole mountable :( . They are very easy to carry single handed and not impossible to get up there by yourself :) .

Archived