EV ZLX-is the PRX712 THAT MUCH better?

• Members

Hey all, continuation of my previous thread. I don't feel a burning need to replace my tops, but my eon monitor blew up last week (was old) and I need a few new monitors. I was GOING to spring for a pair of jbl prx712s to use because I have the 718 subs and it's one package, but for pennies on the dollar I can buy 4 zlx 12p speakers and attempt to run them as mains should I choose to do so! Crossover not a problem as Ill cross over from the subs. I know they're a lower level speaker (in my circuit the qsc k12s are pretty common as mains), but is the jbl prx two and a half times better? Making matters worse still is that the prx712s are still really new...thanks!

• Members

Get what you pay for. Comparing my MRX515's to my ZLX12P's? No comparison. JBL is bigger, faster, stronger and louder. ZLX can get harsh when you hit em hard, more high end sound compared to the MRX515's. And the lows? ZLX has "some" but it's from processing, I just don't think the artificial boxes have much for resonance. (I'm also going by the assumption that the drivers (at least if the horn is a 2408H driver) for the 712 will be the same as the prx612 (same as mrx515's). Different class of speaker, different application.

Think about it JBL a real wood cabinet that has to be cut accurately from a decent cut of wood, then you assemble then dry the glue, then dip the JBL stuff on the outside, dry again.

The ZLX probably shot out of mold, dry, done. I could be wrong on the manufacturing process, if anyone knows would like to know how they are built. :)

Now let's fast forward 5 years, which box is going to last longer and sound better? We don't know, but I suspect sooner or later those artificial boxes will have "something" come loose and start rattling at the wrong time at the wrong frequency.

DJ that did my wedding (dang wished I had pictures) he had those big old school SRX boxes and the corners were literally gone from the years of use and they sounded incredible, There is no artificial substitute for wood.

Also there is no resources for the 712 at all I couldn't even find a manual..... sigh. You need to buy a pair and demo them and report back ;)

• Members

Sorry aged, but that is is the myth I've been fed all these years:) I was saying that even though that argument is out there, from my own experience the wooden rigs are not any warmer of fuller sounding than the "plastic" rigs In the hands of the right engineer.

• Members
Wood is warmer?

Does this go hand in hand with "big iron is needed for low end amplification" myth?

lol. I was waiting for you to plow into that one Andy ;)

@airboiangiu,

The PRX is better for several reasons, but they may not matter to you.

1. They have a much more durable finish and will stay looking nice
  2. They get louder. If you are only using them for monitors, you may not care.
  3. They sound better for several reasons. Mostly it all boils down to the fact that it is really hard to make a $400.00 speaker sound as good (at a loud level) as a $850.00 speaker (if you are an engineer). Not impossible, but highly unlikely.
  4. If you already have JBL subs, then a matched pair is not a bad thing visually or from an engineering perspective.
  5. I believe (someone correct me if I am wrong here) that the PRX warranty is better

• Members
I think 4 of those would cover my venues nicely (and I have the jbl subs for the low end)

The less cabinets the better. Research "comb filtering". Two good cabs will almost always sound better than four cabs of less quality. Besides, why carry/setup four cabs when two will do the job.

• Members

Thanks, the halls I play in are WIDE and the firepower and dispersion are important. I'm aware of comb filtering, and the coverage patterns of my current tops are pretty directional. With the JBLs the the thought process is to eventually save up enough to buy 4. I'm just saw that the jbls are heavier too... But still may pull the trigger. Thanks all!

• Members

FWIW - I was impressed by the PRX710s, but they're still not "technically" light enough that you could array them on a pole mount like this, but a pair of high-powered 10s would seem to be a better solution for you if the majority of your halls are very wide. The RCF ART310A MkIII speakers are less than 30lb. each and would not overload a dual mount like that. Four of those would run you less than 2 grand new these days... they also have a decent monitor wedge angle on them... unlike the PRX710s.

• Members

FWIW -

I have a pair of ZLX-15Ps and I think they sound great. Before that I had Yamaha passive club series speakers and also Mackie SRM450s. I dont have any JBLs to compare it to except a pair of dual 15's I used in the early 2000s. I'll take the ZLX's anyday. They are light and sound great. I'm not playing huge rooms but I have barely used all the power in these things and no clipping or distortion.

• Members
Considering the price of the the prx712 vs say the ZLX12P with the ZXA1 powered sub would be a more accurate comparison. You can easily pick up the EV sub and the ZLX12p for $850-$900.

Then also compare size and weight and max SPL above 100Hz between the two comparisons. There is no free lunch in these comparisons.

The PRX-712 is a better speaker period, and yes it is more money. If the OP needs the performance of the PRX, then that's the obvious choice and the others are unsuitable. If he needs LESS performance then the others are a viable consideration

• Members

I think the myth on the plastic box thing is largely because cheaper speakers are often "plastic". That doesn't mean all of them are inferior, you just don't see many plastic boxes with big boy drivers. Bought in 2008, My RCF 522A's will still knock the snot out of any sub $1200 powered box I've heard.... and they should as they mapped out around $1600 and I bought for around $1200. That's pretty much how it goes. There are a few bargains out there, but it's pretty much you get what you pay for. One of the better bargains has been mentioned already, the RCF 312A.

As for the plastic box loosening up, I'd actually expect the opposite. Screws get loose in wood and glue can come "unglued". A cheap wood or MDF box, especially a sub, can get all kinds of rattles

• Members

This thread was derailed-I think. I posed my question with the understanding that I don't NEED new tops, but I do need a pair of powered monitors. Should I spend the extra 120 percent (400 vs 850) on the jbls "forward thinking" about high quality tops to match my jbl subs, or if people have good experiences with the zlxs as monitors and tops. For what it's worth, I don't get really really loud, my qsc amps barely ever reach -10 Db

• Members
This thread was derailed-I think. I posed my question with the understanding that I don't NEED new tops' date=' but I do need a pair of powered monitors. Should I spend the extra 120 percent (400 vs 850) on the jbls "forward thinking" about high quality tops to match my jbl subs, or if people have good experiences with the zlxs as monitors and tops. For what it's worth, I don't get really really loud, my qsc amps barely ever reach -10 Db[/quote']

What? Threads get derailed here? Now way! The JBL seem overkill for monitor use (wait for it...........) if you don't need that much volume the EV's should work very well. If you have future plans then the JBL's could be better.

• Members

My ev's are SO Absurdly loud (and they only get 450 watts a speaker) so volume isn't the issue, but I imagine that a set of 4 prx's will be more powerful and sound better (and allow me to go completely powered should I choose to do so). Anyone have the prx612s? Those specs are lighter and I can probably get cheap used...

Archived