Karoake Competition OT

• Members

Howdy folks, I have been doing these for years and this one is from a major sponsor that has a large country festival every year with the latest and greatest in country music. While country is not always my desire, I do enjoy most of it.

For the qualifier I have to travel out of town for 2 hours which is no big deal but as a vocalist it's nice to know your "band" or sound in which this case is the tracks. I found out the KJ, went to his website and he advertises: XPERIENCE

xxx has over ten years of experience in Karaoke and DJ entertainment. Bar owners say they love the way he keeps the crowd hopping and always seems to know what kind of music to play. Bartenders and servers say they earn more tips and serve more drinks when Dion does the show. Singers say they sound the best on Dion's Karaoke system and they can't believe the selection of songs that he has for them to choose from.

PROFESSIONAL KARAOKE SYSTEM

Karaoke with xxx has a professional system specifically built for karaoke, not just a DJ system with a karaoke player added. It is the best sounding karaoke system that you will ever hear. We also have a HUGE song selection (over 11,500 songs) and we use only the highest quality karaoke discs. We add updates at least once a month. Your customers will be impressed that they can sing the songs that are on the radio TODAY, as well as the "oldies" that everybody loves!

I emailed him my requests from artist from songs that are definately top 40 on the country charts released in 2011 and he doesn't have them but he has 4 other odd ball songs from the same artist. I asked if I can bring my own, yes, only if it's factory CD's. I replied that I find it ironic in 2014 we have to bring the original CD when you can download these tracks commercially directly over the internet. Sigh.

I guess I am concerned that he advertises you can sing "songs that are on the radio TODAY" but yet he can't get tracks from top 40 songs from 2011? What would you do? I did look at what the other qualifiers are using for songs and they are old and a variety some not even country like: lean on me, new york new york, etc. My concern is that no one is doing the modern stuff cause he doesn't have it. I don't want to be a big stinker about it all I just find it's not fair that you practice for your gig then you can't play it cause they don't have it?

What would you do? Thank all for your thoughts....Also I will report back to see how the "best sounding Karaoke system" is for equipment when I return.

• Members

Buy the discs, kick ass and sweep the contest knowing that nobody else is likely to sing those songs. Go home happy and with first place.

Always have low expectations for karaoke sound systems. The only "best sounding karaoke system" I've every ran across was at a place called The Cats Paw in New Orleans. Full FOH with a mix position out front, MC on stage, nice wireless mics (not that Nady turd with a screen crap) monitors and full light system. It was pretty impressive. Felt completely natural as a stage performer.

• Members

Dang, if I ever get to New Orleans again will look it up, trying to talk my wife into going someday. That is my goal with my system, to use decent pro audio gear cause like you say most of it is very disappointing and normally meets right at low expectation. Most of the time the mics are the cheapest wireless's known to man or better yet the uber cheap wired ones with the TR cables. Never monitors, think I've seen one in 10 years. Lights are a rarity as well. Yes a great singer can make them sound good, but can make also make a good singer sound bad too.

Good point on your post, I will have to get a copy. But the question is should I have to considering what is advertised?

• Members

Well not many people are running cd discs anymore so that will tell you a lot. Why carry hundreds of discs when you can take one laptop and carry thousands of discs. Most Pro Karoke guys belong to a service that keeps them up to date with the most popular tunes.

• Members
the place in New Orleans is called the Cat's Meow , it's on Bourbon st
Thank you! I thought I had it. It's been a lot of years since I've been there. Had great time.

Virtual DJ has a karaoke subscription. $15/month I think. Unlimited songs. I belong to their music pool for DJ'ing (don't laugh I have a $900 minimum) its $10/month and gives you access to 15 million songs.

Content Unlimited. I use it as well, but haven't tried the Karaoke service yet. Might have to look into although as I said in another thread, relying purely on streamed/downloaded content can put a quick end to your show if you don't some content on a hard drive or other physical medai as a back up.

• Members

I use "Just Karaoke" for home parties and download and own hundreds of songs all from the last 20 years for the most part (although you have to have some of the classic oldies too).

I love being able to administer (search, reorder, etc) songs while someone is singing using dual monitor support. I can't fathom using an old CD system. When I update enough songs, I simply print out another set of books to the printer (although the ink can get expensive if you get silly with this).

I use an old pair of Klipsch 15" 3 way's that I keep in my finished basement specifically for this purpose. If I were doing this as a mobile KJ, I would definitely invest in a pair of DXR15's.

• Members

If you search his Web site he rents some vocopro all in one karaoke system, in which its include a CD player and a cassette recorder to record your performance of you want; maybe that's the reason that he's asking to come with a CD, according to the specs that he glad advertised on his system of karaoke to rent:

This lightweight, compact, full-featured, all-in-one Karaoke system is the right step up for your next in-home or small club Karaoke extravaganza! The Bravo II packs 160 watts of power and stereo speakers into a sturdy, attractive, wood cabinet. And it offers the full compliment of digital Karaoke features. In addition to the shock resistant CD+G player, its tape deck allows you to record your performances at any level you choose.

In other words, what you hear is what you'll record. The Bravo II has a digital key control to raise or lower your music without changing the tempo, professional digital echo and delay to make your performances the highlight, two microphone inputs, RCA audio/video input and output jacks for expandability, even a built-in RF Modulator for TV's without RCA jacks. When you want serious Karaoke fun go for the gusto! Go with the Bravo II!

80W + 80W Maximum Power Output

19 Step Digital Key Controller

Professional Digital Echo With Digital Repeat Controls

2 Microphone Inputs With Individual Volume Controls

Vocal Cancel And Vocal Partner Functions To Remove Vocal On Karaoke CDs And Tapes

Skip Free Shock Resistant CD/CD+ Graphics Player

Cassette Deck To Play And Record Your Mix

Audio/Video Input/Output Jacks Easily Connect To Other Systems

Built In RF Output For TV's Without A/V Input Jacks

110V/220V Switchable

Dimension: (W x D x H) 18 1/2" x 12 1/2" x 15"

Net Weight : 30 Lbs.

Maybe you'll have to sing in this kind of equipment for karaoke, maybe not; however, be prepared to sing and have fun on the contest, althought, the meaning is to have fun isn't it? so don't expect to have prx, dsr, zlx, quality into it if he brings this amp that night and try to relax on whatever mic wireless or not that he would have

Good luck that night

• Members

I'm wondering how you guys manage the karaoke business and the copyright of the xxx number of songs that you'll have, I understand that there are some karaoke type cvs on wich you pay the copyright for the songs isn't? However? What happens when you don't have that song on your inventory like in this thread? Of course you can bring your own CD, however? Can you download from Internet and add it to the inventory of songs and that's it? Or what?

Over here, you could go to the "bahia" (Bay) were you'll find a lot of small little places that sells millions of audio and video songs, concerts, videos, including the whole karaoke program with the songs included and you can search for the ones that they would not be included, okay for the extra and your ready to go; I'm sorry copyright properties over here are a little cumbersome and recently the law over here is starting to get in hands with it

• Members

Howdy folks, a little updated. regarding some comments yes CD's are very old school, not many jocks run it that way it's all computer based now which is why I'm shocked they don't allow software copies, a stick, a burned disc whatever format used...at least then the singer knows which version is being played at each location cause the jocks change from each location.

My wife and I checked into the hotel and grabbed a bite to eat and called the cab. We headed down to the place and they said you do know what they call it right? I said the name, he said no they call it the "dirty". Ohhh okkk.

Get there and found out pretty quickly why, dirtiest bar in town. Cheap drinks though and they burned them. This was I think round 4 of 5 for the qualifying round. If you win 1 to 3 you go back for their in house competition and I think the top 3 from that go to regional, then top x go from there to another regional and I think then the grand finale. They take the top 3 of the whole thing and they play on sing on stage at festival, one on thurs, one on fri on on Sat. In the past the top 3 I've seen were tweaked down out of the pa and it sounded as bad as some karaoke tracks do but always good singers I do have to say that. One year they had a girl that played guitar and sang originals, very good. I do know the grand grand prize is time in a studio to record your own stuff. Found that kinda ironic considering these are karaoke singers, last thing I'd want to waste that time on is recording covers or karaoke in the studio. Anyway that's the prize.

Anyway For 1st place finishers on the qualifying rounds they get two general admission tickets to the festival which was my goal mainly. There were 8 contestants and all was great until the woman sings a popular country song dead on. Cringe. Man. So they said her name and song and I saw she had won 2nd 3rd or alt at one of the other qualifiers, I guess you can compete as many times as you want if you don't get 1st then you can keep trying for 1st (tickets). So it happened she got first (and the tickets) and I got 2nd. But she earned and deserved it, my wife agreed.

Re online subscriptions, yes you can't rely on wireless connection to hold you through night. On very desperate occasions I've had to run youtube for strange rare requests, never had a problem except one time the connection lagged and you go from sound to dead silence and crickets. not good, longest dead silence of your life and everyone is looking at you. I could maybe see it working in a larger city but even then with all the wireless congestion? Nah. Not reliable. \

Oh PA gear was: AH mix wiz, big one, overkill for karoake but liked his selection on the verb. Wired mics, don't know too much alcohol and it was dark up there. For the qualifying song I did ask to use the wireless as I move out and about and don't sit like a drone reading the words (they do have points for showmanship ha) Speakers were jbl prx 612. I do have to say, even without subs I was impressed. Even later on when he did the dance music they really did nice on the lows, I was waiting for them to start farting but they never did. Definitely needed subs no question, but to each their own. The wireless was a pgx with a 58 head.

I may go back next week for the next qualifier go for the tickets, we'll see. Lot of money to spend to only gain nothing in the end.

Archived