Pairing Tops with QSC KSubs

• Members

So, a guy in my band has a pair of KSubs that he bought for DJ work. We are going to use them for some of our bigger gigs (instead of my little Yorkville LS200 subs).

I've been thinking about an upgrade for my mains (definitely powered, probably shopping used). I'd like something that would work for now with his KSubs, but I'll eventually go with my own subs later on. I suppose the K12's probably make the most sense for use with the KSubs, but I've personally been leaning toward the JBL PRX series, possibly a used set of 612s.

If I understand it correctly, the KSubs have a built in LPF and the pass-thru is full range, then the K12s have a LPF built in? Is that correct? So, if I go with another brand of tops, it would need to be speaker with a HPF switch built in? Is that correct? For instance, the RCF ART 312s do not have a HPF and will require an external crossover, correct?

On the flipside, I believe the JBLs have all of the processing inside the sub? Or do the 612s have their own built in HPF as well?

Ideally, I'd like a good top box that will work well for now with the KSubs (ideally without having to use an external crossover), but would have great options for my own subs down the line.

• Members

Yes ... the K series has the bandpass for each box built-in so you'll need that or an external crossover if using other brands. I would also advise that you test the polarity when mixing brands. There isn't an accepted standard by all manufacturers so just double check.

• Members

Either the K12 or the PRX 612/712 would do reasonably well with the KSubs. Both have built-in high-pass filters. Either will handily outrun the fairly unremarkable KSub.

In my experience, the KSub is not the most musical sounding box, definitely more voiced for DJ and music playback duty.

• Members
Either the K12 or the PRX 612/712 would do reasonably well with the KSubs. Both have built-in high-pass filters. Either will handily outrun the fairly unremarkable KSub.

In my experience, the KSub is not the most musical sounding box, definitely more voiced for DJ and music playback duty.

Oh, I didn't think the PRX612s had the high pass filters. That's good to know.

The KSubs are what he has. So, for now it's our best bet. I know they aren't well reviewed, but they certainly have to be better than my LS200Ps

• Members

I've heard the K subs paired with two HPR122's a side. I should mention it was a Jazz Festival gig in a large industrial type of hall. I was surprised by how well the K subs worked, especially since I had heard such terrible things about them. But again, this was a JAZZ show - acoustic bass, and a tiny kick drum....

Re: those LS200's. I had a pair for a while. I could get the bass through them okay (considering), but kick mostly wouldn't live there - at least not to any great degree. I do know of a few keyboard players that use them when they're playing left hand bass, and they work well in those situations. One fellow I work with uses one NX55P and an Ls200 as his casual rig, when he has to play keys and bass. Doesn't take up too much space on stage, and pumps loud enough if he isn't going through the PA.

• Members
I would use the K-12's myself.
I agree. I was at a show where the guy had one 612 and one k12 on each side of the stage for foh. They were splayed enough that I could pretty much listen to one or the other. In that side by side situation, with each getting the exact same signal, the k12 sounded better. It was a metal band, the 612 sounded like it was really working hard at that volume, the k12 sounded like it was doing fine and could go more if needed. My .02

• Members

The scope of the QSC design is with all QSC powered loudspeakers.

The scope of the PRX design is with all JBL loudspeakers.

I still do not understand why you guys want to mix and match all these different designs?

This is about as simple as I can put it so I can go back out and check the steaks on the grill

:)

• Members
The scope of the QSC design is with all QSC powered loudspeakers.

The scope of the PRX design is with all JBL loudspeakers.

I still do not understand why you guys want to mix and match all these different designs?

This is about as simple as I can put it so I can go back out and check the steaks on the grill

:)

I hear what you are saying, and I understand that perfectly. What I'm getting at is that I don't own these subs. I don't want to necessarily go with QSC just because I am trying to match someone else's subs for a short period of time. I'll eventually buy my own sub(s), and I didn't want to limit my decisions because the other guy went with KSubs. I want something that would work "okay" with his QSubs for the time being.

In the long run I might decide that I'd rather go with Yorkville, JBL, or RCF for my own needs. Whatever I end up getting, the subs will match the tops because they are of a matching scope of design.

• Members

Well, things have certainly changed dramatically over the past few days.

Part of my plan for this year was upgrading my system quite a bit because I believed that I would be able to get a trailer this year (along with a vehicle that will pull it). That is looking VERY uncertain, at least for a while - that changes EVERYTHING.

So, if I get new subs, they'll need to be smallish to fit in my car. Looking at the dimensions, I believe a couple of LS720p subs would fit, as would two new PRX 715XLF's or the SUB 705-AS's. LS701Ps might fit, but I'm not sure. Anything any bigger wouldn't fit through the door (I know because I had a EWI C4UE mixer case that would "barely" fit in there - and you needed two people and a bit of luck to make that happen). Anything 18" is out. KSubs are out.

So, to get matching sets in the long term, that would put me looking at ART312s, PRX612/712s, or NX55Ps for mains for mains. I'll pick up one sub not long after (which should easily outperform my two LS200Ps), and then another down the road.

-The ART312s have a VERY, VERY attractive price point compared to any other options. I have an ART310 for a monitor/small single FOH speaker now. It's very nice and sounds way better than my NX35s. The downside seems like there are a lot of "not-so-good" reviews out there on the 705-AS sub. The ART312s don't have the HPF, but I have an external crossover I can use for now with my buddy's KSubs.

-I have Yorkville speakers now, and they've been beat hard and still keep on working. I like the idea of NX55P's, and the LS720p gets a lot of good press. However, a lot of people seem to consider the NX55s sub par in volume and projection when comparing to K12s or the PRX series.

-So, overall, I may be leaning toward JBL. The PRX612s seem to be relative easy to find used. If I picked up a pair of those for now, I could use my external crossover to work with my buddy's KSubs until I can get a couple of PRX 715XLFs down the road.

• Members

Consider the DXR12s. Similar to the Art 312As sound quality wise, but with a much nicer mixer section, dual angle pole mount, 7 year warranty and a whole lot sexier than the RCFs. The DXRs are actually almost identical to the QSCs looking at them from the front. I own DXR8s and DXR15s and they sound fantastic and offer lots of performance for the price.

Al

• Members
Consider the DXR12s. Similar to the Art 312As sound quality wise, but with a much nicer mixer section, dual angle pole mount, 7 year warranty and a whole lot sexier than the RCFs. The DXRs are actually almost identical to the QSCs looking at them from the front. I own DXR8s and DXR15s and they sound fantastic and offer lots of performance for the price.

Al

You know, I hadn't really considered those. I'd always thought the DXR line would be sub par to the others mentioned, and the DSR line is way expensive. However, they seem to be reviewed very highly by a lot of people. Also, I do really like that mixer section (being able to plug in an MP3 player or mic would come in very handy in a lot of settings.

And you are right, they do look really good.

How are the DXS subs? I assume the 12's wouldn't really deliver pushing a band, but how about the 15?

• Members

I'm pretty sure the DXR line designed specifically to compete directly with the QSC Ks - offering all of the performance and features, but at a better price and slightly better warranty.I personally find the DXRs to sound better than the Ks, especially when pushed. Only weakness on the DXRs is the finish, which is easily marked/scratched. The DSR cabs are a more "pro" cab with more durable finish, higher output capability and higher quality neo transducers. They are also more $$$. As for the DXS subs, I really like my DXS12s, considering they were 1500$ for the pair. They are big for 12" subs and are a bandpass design, so this means while they provide very high output for 12" subs, the sound quality or "musicality" is not quite as good as what I got from my older LS720P. I've been told by more than one person that a DXS12 performs as well as a KSub. Another user told me it takes a pair of EV ZXA1 subs to match the output of a single DXS12 (he owns both), so to me that translates into the DXS12s being very good value - high output subs, Deeper low frequency extension is pretty good too, especially in the X-TENDED LF setting (the only setting I use).

Al

• Members

Did you mention a budget?

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that it is more important which sub you get than which top. While there are differences between the tops in the price range we have been discussing, they are fairly minor. Furthermore, even IF you were going to go with something as potent as a PRX XLF (either 6 or 7XX), you would be limited by the sub, not the top with respect to max volume.

Since you are looking at compact subs, I would reduce the tops to 10's as these will easily keep up with all the compact subs (and sound pretty sweet even for acoustic gigs).

Personally, I think the PRX line is pretty darned nice. Get the 10's over the 15's.

If you want to save some money and still have a nice system, the RCF's are quite good as well (310's over 705's).

I have never cared for the KSub ....... haven't heard many who do that have heard other powered subs in that price range.

• Members
Did you mention a budget?

If you want to save some money and still have a nice system, the RCF's are quite good as well (310's over 705's).

I don't have an exact budget or anything. I'm thinking in the neighborhood of $1k for tops. Whether that ends up being something like PRX612Ms used, or RCF312As new. No exact budget for subs, but a good value is always good. Under a grand each would be nice. I like the idea of the Yamaha 15 subs being more budget friendly, but I don't know that they perform as well as the PRX 15 subs.

As I said, I do like the RCFs, particularly their price point. How is the 705? Seems like I've read a lot of negative talk about it being a "one note wonder" and so on, but that may have been an earlier version. I guess that will be the case with any 15" bandpass sub?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

So, I'm seriously considering the Yamaha speakers. Likely a new set of DXRs, but I'm also considering a used set of DSR112s.

However. . .The DSR series has their HPF set at 120hz, while the KSubs have their LPF set at 100hz. If I use those tops with those sub in practical application, will this leave a "hole" in the sound?

The DXR series has a selectable HPF at 100 or 120, so would not be an issue

• Members
So, I'm seriously considering the Yamaha speakers. Likely a new set of DXRs, but I'm also considering a used set of DSR112s.

However. . .The DSR series has their HPF set at 120hz, while the KSubs have their LPF set at 100hz. If I use those tops with those sub in practical application, will this leave a "hole" in the sound?

The DXR series has a selectable HPF at 100 or 120, so would not be an issue

The DXR would likely be the better choice in your situation as they do offer the 100hz HP filter setting, come in at a lower price and have a better mixer section too - which can be convenient. Also, you won't need the extra output the DSR112s are capable of to keep up with the Ksubs. The DXRs will have no problem keeping up with a pair of Ksubs,

Al

• Members

That's what I figured. The thought behind the DSR is not necessarily to keep up with the KSubs, but just a better overall speaker. I play a LOT of solo/duo gigs without subs as well.

I think the DXRs will work out just fine. Plus, buying new I will get the warranty.

Archived