looking for advice on adding speakers to my FOH

• Members

Hi All,

I’m a daily reader who doesn’t post much. I’m looking for some advice on adding more coverage for my FOH . I currently have (2) srx712m for tops and (4) SRX718s subs. (My system is powered with 3 qsc plx3042 amps and a driverack PA for processing). I work in clubs with 75 to 200 people. I built my system based on advice from this forum and it works well for my environment.

Several of the bands I work with are playing larger clubs this year (200 to 400 people). My first thought was to get another set of 712m speakers but they seem very hard to find. I have the chance to purchase a pair of SRX725 from a friend but I am wondering if I should keep looking for some 712? Could I mix active tops with passive subs? (maybe PRX735?)

Thanks

Patrick

• Members

The right answer would be to get a matching top.

You probably are going to run into overlap issues/comb filter issues unless you splay the cabs to minimize overlap

You are doing this indoors in clubs.

Do you really need that much coverage or just more SPL?

I would add another set of SRX718's per side before adding more tops.

If you were doing outside shows then more tops and subs would be in order.

Consider more subs.

• Members

I wouldn't mix tops. Another set of 712's might work out but they are 90 degree horizontal cabinets so you'd definitely be overlapping the pattern quite a bit. Agedhorse usually says comb filtering isn't as big of a deal as people say. If you need more throw then narrower dispersion is better, plus you can keep some splatter off the walls. So another set of those may not be the best for what you're trying to accomplish.

Regarding the 725's, while double 15's aren't my favorite, especially cheap ones, the SRX are pretty darn good. A pair of those will give you a bit more SPL, a bit more grunt for harder music, and narrow up the pattern 15 degrees to 75, which may be a good compromise of throw and coverage. If the price is right you may want to go that route.

• Members

BTW, I still see some 712m's for sale, but not many. You can actually buy through Amazon at $1049 each (and they have 2 sold through AVL Gear). When buying from unknown vendors I like doing it through Amazon so if there are problems you have a known entity as far as customer service goes. Amazon has bailed me out of a bad purchase in the past.

• Members

I have doubled up with 712s without issues, I would look to this first. For the kind of music I do, with proper processing, 1 sub to 1 top is just about right. If you don't need the horizontal addtl. horiz. coverage ever then 725s might be an ok but heavier choice.

• Members

Thanks for the responses, I guess i am looking for a little more SPL in the larger rooms.I have found a local source to get some 712m's. I am concerned about the comb filtering but I would not be running four top speakers that often. I am open to using one larger top speaker per side. Maybe something from the STX line?

• Members

IME, the comb filtering issues are quite minimal in reality (withthe 712's) compared with the horror stories on the internet about them. The internet tends to parrot things that may in theory have some validity but in practice may not be as bad as pure theory might suggest.

• Members

If I was to do over with my SRx, I'd get the 722 instead of the 725. The 725 i like a lot but the size.. weight. the nice thing about 712 or 715 is you can get them where you want height wise, easier. 725 not so much. I turn my 728 subs sideways and still the height could be taller for many applications.

Archived