Srx728 on discrete mode

• Members

Anyone ever try discrete mode on SRX 728 subs? Since both my Plx and yamaha p7000 amps have both channels on one Nl4 , I thought I'd try it out. The yamaha would give 700 watts to each 18 at 8 ohms. Previously I was running them off one channel ea from an rmx4050hd, which I want to switch to the 725 tops

• Members

I don't remember, but if the woofers share the acoustic space inside and one amp channel or cabling fails, the tuning on the other driver becomes so far out of tune that it's almost sure to fail mechanically too. Of course, the same could be said if a driver fails, but in the case of discrete amps and cable path, you have added additional failure points. This is one reason why many manufacturers divide the acosutic chambers into 2 x singles within an overall enclosure, like the Meyer 500 and 650 series.

• Members

I also thought about doing this since the p7000 puts out the most wattage at 8 ohms per channel. I didn't end up doing it partly because the risk of miswiring subs and biamp tops. Wrong cable and you've got sub amp connected to HF driver! Also makes amp racks a little more confusing when using single 18's, or if you needed to run both 18's off a single amp channel.

• CMS Author

I don't remember, but if the woofers share the acoustic space inside and one amp channel or cabling fails, the tuning on the other driver becomes so far out of tune that it's almost sure to fail mechanically too. Of course, the same could be said if a driver fails, but in the case of discrete amps and cable path, you have added additional failure points. This is one reason why many manufacturers divide the acosutic chambers into 2 x singles within an overall enclosure, like the Meyer 500 and 650 series.

If this is anything like the SR-X series, the chambers are separate but share the same port space. Each chamber has two large square openings in the interior baffle which open into a common plenum. I don't know whether the failure of a driver would result in enough change of tuning with this design or not, but it's definitely something that's dissuaded me from ever trying discrete mode. There just never seemed to be an upside to it anyway, at least with my amplifier inventory.

Archived