Thanks for your advice. I'm loving my new PA

• Members

So, a while back, I posted here inquiring about switching from an EV SX300/PSX 1600 powered mixer combo to powered speakers with a mixer.

You guys were all very helpful, and I wound up buying a pair of RCF ART710 A's. After much back and forth on mixer options, I decided to stay with the PSX 1600 for the time being, because I loved it so much. However, the weight was getting to me, especially since I didn't need the powered part anymore. Luckily, a friend of a friend was selling a Dynacord CMS 1600 (the latest one. It's an unpowered version of the PSX 1600) and so I snagged that unit at a great price. Yesterday was the first day I gigged with that combo; a small gig with a drummer, keys, and two vocalists, and I was super pleased with the power, clarity, and weight of the system. I'm looking forward to picking up some subs at some point soon, for larger band gigs, but for this type of event, the RCF 10" speakers punched just as much as the EV's did. I ran two separate monitor mixes as well.

Based on info I've gotten here, I'm planning to pick up an Allen and Heath Zed 10 FX, for small gigs, where I don't need the additional channels/features, but I think I now have my ideal small wedding setup well on the way.

Incidentally, I understand the conventional wisdom of separating frequencies into subs and tops, but I've been wondering about the notion of using additional matched large speaker (i.e. 15" powered RCF's in my case) in leu of dedicated subs, to help beff up the low end in situations where needed. Since each powered speaker has it's own amp, would beefing up the sound this way work well, even if it is somewhat less efficient than if the tops didn't have to process low frequencies at all? The benefit would be in using smaller speakers like the NX15 instead of the larger and heavier subs.

Thanks again for all the advice.

• Members

There are some serious advantages to subs on the floor compared to 15" on tri-pods. Subs are more important if the kick is mic'd. Not so critical for anything else. (My take for small to medium clubs) Outdoors, they are useful for any situations where the music is more than background. And all situations where the entire band is mic'd. (Kick, Bass and Keyboards.)

• Members

Don't reinvent the wheel. There's a good reason it's round!

With the assumption you're daisy chaining the speakers together, thus putting full frequency through both boxes....

1 - You won't get the low frequency extension of a true sub

2 - Different speakers need different EQ

3 - More apt to have comb filtering issues

4 - If you truly understand the benefits then you know that, in addition to getting lower lows, the purpose of subs is as much to get the lows out of the mains so so 100 Hz - the crossover (1,200-2,500 depending on the model aren't hampered by the woofer wildly moving back and forth trying to move air. It's asking too much of a speaker to be accurate and clear.

5 - You don't want a horn on the floor blasting into people seated a few feet away.... that's just obnoxious.

There are plenty of low weight subwoofers out there that would add fullness to your sound and allow the mains to keep the upper lows/lower mids clean and clear.

• Members

If you're talking about actual subs, that works. Mine are 12" subs. Just 15" speakers don't make good subs unless designed to be subs and mounted in a matched speaker cabinet. (Speakers and cabinets are a system that needs to be designed to work together. You wouldn't put a 427 engine into a bicycle frame. Wouldn't be functional. Same thing.)

• Members

Love the JBL PRX 18's. I don't know if they make them anymore (JBL keeps mucking up a good thing - Like the SRX line:-). They made two models (different power ratings). The high powered ones are wonderful (light and tight sounding).

Old model I've used: PRX618S-XLF

New model as replacement: PRX718S

• Members

My "compact" subs are Yorkville LS-720P's. Weight is approximately 80 lbs, and I can easily fit a pair in the back seat of my car. These are very "clean" and "tight" subs, with plenty of punch. Mind you, they don't even come close to my Yorkville LS801P's.

On the subject of "Light-weight" subs,,,,, how many times are you actually going to "carry" a pair of subs???? My much-heavier LS-801P's are actually much easier to move around than the smaller LS-720P's, because they're on casters. The only problem with larger/heavier subs is. climbing stairs, or, loading/unloading from a vehicle. Either problem is easily solved with the right equipment, or a helper.

When I buy subs, I want them to "kick ass", and my transportation problems are secondary to sound quality.

• Members
Love the JBL PRX 18's. I don't know if they make them anymore (JBL keeps mucking up a good thing - Like the SRX line:-). They made two models (different power ratings). The high powered ones are wonderful (light and tight sounding).

Actually the 718S is an old, discontinued model. The current one is the PRX 718S-XLF

• Members

Actually the 718S is an old, discontinued model. The current one is the PRX 718S-XLF

Archived