What is your pre-gig routine?

richardmac

• Moderators

used to be

now:

prepack everything possible the night before.

a bottle of water and a bottle of diet ice tea in the car's console cupholders.

on the fingernail thing, btw, I have a pair of nail clippers in my gig bag(...a hard lesson learned many years ago on a side gig)

always leave plenty of time. Never be late arriving or starting.

• Members

Pretty much the same as everybody else...get there early, etc. I prefer emory boards to clippers and keep a couple in my case. I also have a cigar before I start (it's about the only time I have a smoke).

• Members

Normal stuff, nails, pack, etc and put my gear on a cart near the door of the rehearsal space the night before if possible.

I don't eat for 2 hours before I play. Which kind of sucks when the gig is at a restaurant that offers free food for the band, and by the time I'm done the kitchen is closed, but I just can't do it. I don't drink alcohol until after gigs either, so I steal half pitcher of water and a glass from the kitchen if I can.

What I need to get better about is finding a quiet corner to warm up my hands (unplugged) for a minute or two before playing. I didn't warm up at all before I played last week and the first couple of songs suffered for it.

• Members

Everything but my guitar is always in the car and ready to go. I have to make sure I have an outfit to wear the day before the gig. When I get to the gig it's a matter of making sure everything works, maybe get a scotch on the rocks, and play according to the set list.

Archived