What do you play when you play for YOURSELF?

pinkfloydcramer61

• Members

For personal pleasure, anything that involves a certain level of vocal/instrumental complexity is where I go on my "time off".

Mostly it's jazz for the vocal nuances and the intricate chord/solo work, and hard rock/melodic metal to blow off musical steam.

Also, I write some of my own material, so that keeps me happy on another level.

So most of what I sit at home and play for fun, I also perform live, but not all of what I play live do I sit at home and play for fun.

• Members

I actually play everything I play at gigs because all the songs I play at my gigs are songs I love. I may focus on a the tunes that need to be practiced more often but when it's just for fun, I'll play whatever pops into my head off my list because I love every song I've learned.

• Moderators

Usually, if I am not working on gig material, I am composing (or is that decomposing? ;) ) materials, usually in a swing or uptempo blues style, but sometimes it is a little bit country, and occassionally a little bit rock and roll....oh, and perhaps some latin style just for good measure....pretty much whatever my fingers decide they want to do at the moment, and who am I to argue? :idk:

• Members

at times, i am guilty of sitting and working on pieces of classical music on guitar, or sometimes on the banjo... someday i would like to play Beethoven's moonlight sonata on banjo just for audience response... :) let it suffice that classical is NOT my forte, so it is indeed only for me as i'm not sure anyone else could withstand my slaughtering of this particular art form... but most often if i am indulging myself, i wander into the pastures with the horses and take my favorite native flute and simply play whatever is in my heart...

• Members

Well I sing all the time, at home, in the shower, at work...anything that pops in my head. Mostly I sing songs from our set list that I think need work, or songs I want to add to our set list.

One guilty pleasure is...don't shoot me...show tunes...I do love to belt out some show tunes sometimes...maybe it's the overly exagerated interpretation of these songs that make me be more of a showman with my singing! :)

Rod

• Moderators

the other thing I do is I write my own 'etudes', if you will; usually acoustic guitar pieces, generally for finger picking, with a series of rapid changes, but still melody driven. These are not for performance, per se, but challenges to my skill set that I rotate at will. They are intentionally almost impossible for me to play 100% correctly, and that is the ongoing challenge, to get as close as possible to what was originally in my head, knowing I can't quite do it :cool:

• Members

Like most here, the majority of my playing time is either performance, practice or rehearsal. I make a point of "just playing" from time to time. Frequently I start with a simple fingerpicked progression and experiment with substitutions, extensions and melodic lines until I get completely lost and am running entirely on "feel." I gotta start recording those.

Then sometimes I just play songs:

American Tune - Paul Simon

World Turning - Fleetwood Mac

If I Had a Boat - Lyle Lovett

Stuff like that.

• Members

It's a mix. Sometimes I'll play some of the covers I'm still learning. Sometimes I'll just play old KISS or Rush or Thin Lizzy songs. Even after all these years I can still play 2112 start to finish. Can't sing it, of course, but I can still play it. Actually I can sing it an octave down... and it's STILL high. In the past I would work on riffs or chord progressions or melodic ideas for songs, but lately I've felt zero motivation to write. It comes and goes.

• Members

When I'm at home it's usually jazz stuff, trying to increase my solo jazz book. I also try in vain to keep up my rudimentary classical book. Stuff like fernado Sor and Carcassi.

I used to do a classical guitar thing at weddings way back - instead of the obligatory harp, some folks wanted guitar. Maybe next summer I'll try and get back to that.

Sometimes I'll torture myself and try and cop some Danny Gatton or Robben Ford stuff - that'll keep you busy.

At my solo gigs it's mainly Motown, R&B, Blues and accessible Jazz (Benson....).

• Members

I try to play some every day. Muscle memory is a great thing but needs constant attention. If I only have a few minutes I will work on a series of exercises I have for promoting left and right hand synchronization, different rhythmic figures and playing all over the fretboard. If I have more time I will work on new songs that are being added to the set list, work on songs that I am writing, play along with bass/drum/rhythm tracks in different styles and/or try to add new techniques, sounds and skills.

Archived