Chatter Between Songs

Sgt. Rock

• Members

I mostly just play and keep the chatter to a minimum.

When I do talk, might be to tell an interesting (and short) little story about a song, or something else people can relate to.

Sometimes, I'll suggest that requests are welcome (if it's that sort of show), or I'll make any announcements the venue owner needs making.

I also might say something nice about either a performer who went before me, or a performer who is coming after me, although most of my shows these days don't feature other performers.

But mostly I just play. I have a lot of material, and the more I talk, the fewer songs I get to perform.

• Members

I will make small talk with one of the ladies in the room, talk about the next song or the song I just did etc.. When in a restaurant I will get with the owner/manager and find out what the specials are, recommended wines etc. and then lightly work that into the spritz. Whatever is at the top of my head.

• Members

I will make small talk with one of the ladies in the room, talk about the next song or the song I just did etc.. When in a restaurant I will get with the owner/manager and find out what the specials are, recommended wines etc. and then lightly work that into the spritz. Whatever is at the top of my head.

Same here..

• Members

We just goof off with them. Perhaps talk about something funny in the news, announce a real or fictional holiday using it on a running gag (If it's fictional, I let them know, it's funnier that way), other running gags might be "here's another song never recorded by Britney Spears", or "A song by Metallica on their CD titled' Metallica Croons The Hits Of Frank Sinatra", or trivia about the next song I'm about to play, running with any feedback from the audience, or just back-and-forth stream of consciousness goofing off with my partner.

Relying on the above, but always open to anything spontaneous.

Relax, and have fun. If you are having fun, the audience will feel it.

Notes

• Members

When I'm doing my one-man German band act, I throw in a bunch of quotes about drinking beer.

For example...

"Steven Wright, that great German philosopher, poses this conundrum, 'Twenty four hours in a day; twenty four cans of beer in a case. Coincidence? I think not!'"

Well, it's funnier when delivered with a German accent.

• Members

If its a bar, anything goes. I talk about drinkin alot!! Sex, lots of toasting. When I play in my duo we are 2 clowns on stage but its the type of place where it works.

For a restaurant gig very little talking unless the crowd wants it. If you have been playing for a living for quite some time you will know what I mean. :)

• Members

Very little at restaurants: Just who we are, that we take requests, and thanks.

At bars:

"Let us know if you have any requests. If we know them, we'll play them. If not, we might play them anyway."

"There is nothing like playing music for your friends. It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on."

*in response to one person clapping* "Thanks Mom."

*in response to a really bad request* "No, I did not know it was raining men."

• Members

My solo gigs tend to be a bit more "intimate" than band gigs, so I generally just chat with the crowd. In restaurants, I plug the food. Coffeehouses get beverage plugs, etc. You also get the change to talk more "one-on-one" with people, with stuff like birthdays, anniversaries, etc. I'll also talk a little about the song I'm about to play, or maybe tell a humerous story, etc. Nothing too cheesy, or too lengthy - just enough so that the crowd feels engaged.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived