Let's talk about modules and why you like them...cool?

charlie13

• Members

For those of us who run backing tracks this topic is for you. I run midi files with a laptop. Showplay is my software sequencer. Killer software for running backing tracks. Can play midis, MP3's, kar files, Wav files. It is primarily a GM based sequencer, however you are not limited strictly to the GM sound set. I am currently using a Roland XV5050 as my recording module since the sounds are just awesome. I can access the upper level sounds by inputing the correct patch change into the midi file. However, that being said, I still use GM based sound modules for gigging as most all my files are GM. I have a Yamaha QY700 that has an awesome GM bank. I also have a Roland SC88....my main gigging module. And then finally, I have a Korg G-Mega that's got a very good GM bank also. You may ask "why GM, why not use the Roland XV5050...? why GM at all? Well, the only thing I can honestly say is I buy a lot of my files from pros (Midi Hits, Trantracks, etc) and they are all GM based for mass appeal. I can make my own tracks, but again...to be honest, I just dont have the time. Got a day gig, and gig every weekend. So, anyway...back to the topic...what do you guys use and why?

Charlie

• Members

I use an old IBM laptop with no add-on sound card - yep that's right - I use the headphone out straight into the PA...

I know some people say only an add-on card will do but I hear no sound quality issues whatsoever and I am very particular about the sound quality.

I would never use a GM module live because to me they all sound like rubbish but each there own - it sure makes things easy - load file and 'go'.

I mix all my backing down to mp3 and play from winamp. That way if the laptop crashes (unilkely there is NOTHING on it other than winamp, no antivirus, no internet etc) I can plug in an mp3 player and keep going...

• Members

An Acer netbook. Midi files playing on Winamp into a BossDR670 - bass and drums only. I used to use two Roland JV880's and an Alesis D4, and a sampler but I like to travel light now, and not sound sequence heavy.

I remember the old Sound Canvas modules. There was something weird like you had to use system exclusive messages to run them effecively - or was that the SC55?

Many of my sequences were done on the old Roland MC50, but lately I've been using Anvil Studio, although I'm looking for something with a bit more control that doesn't break the bank. So.... the search continues.

One of these days I'd like to have everything on MP3 so I could run stuff from my phone or iPod but I've got over 300 songs. that's a lot of mixing and converting.

• Members

I have a MacBook Pro, an Intel iMac, 3 iPods, and 2 iPads. And an iPhone. My new setup is to run Songbook Chordpro on my older iPad and keep all the backing tracks on the iPad, linked to the songs. It's working out awesome. Someone in the forums here told me about Songbook Chordpro and it's a great app.

I don't do any mixing of the backing tracks on the fly, so I see no point in gigging with a computer. I use the iPad, and I have all my tunes on my iPod Touch AND my iPhone, so I have 2 backups. Why bring a $2,000 laptop when I can bring a $500 iPad? I'm not concerned with my laptop crashing or getting a virus (it's a Mac) but I see no benefit to bringing a computer. For you guys that bring a laptop instead of an iPod, what are your reasons? I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just honestly curious.

Edit - I was typing while Shaster posted. I think it'd be worth the effort to put the stuff on an iPod. To me it's so much more reliable than any computer.

• Members

Hey Richard...that's a cool setup. I saw a duo down at "Margarittaville" in Panama City Beach, FL doing just that. All their songs were on an Ipod. Only thing I noticed was that the guitarist was squinting real hard to see the tiny screen to select the next song. Otherwise, sounded great.

Now, why do I use a laptop on the gig?

1. Word display should I need 'em. (got over 600 songs)

2. Set lists with adding "quickies" on the fly

3. Can play midi or MP3's..if either one goes down

4. Ability to link my light show to midis

5. Ability to change tempos/keys on the fly

6. Ability to Wi-fi download requested midi file...and get a great tip (actually did this and got a $100 tip)

I'm sure there are many other reasons, but these come to mind now.

Archived