Backing Tracks guys. Multi-track backing tracks of any use?

sventvkg

• Members

I can see a use because each room is different and the ability to have stems of tracks so I can punch up the drums, bass etc to suit the particular room just like having a board and real band behind me, would be of use. I'm all about flexibility..:) Anyone else like Multi-tracks?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

For my band (currently just tw blokes, singing guitarist and me who plays guitar or synths) multiple tracks would be very helpful. We need to have bass, synths, piano and drums going to FOH. One stereo track will not be enough, plus we need a monitor track that has less lead and more kick and snare in it. How this will happen, I have no idea....

• Members

I went from taking my computer rig to gigs and playing back everything multi-track, to just mixing down to high-quality stereo tracks.

That's because in practice, I always adjusted the overall EQ for a room, never the individual instruments.

Yeah, me too - same story. I have enough to deal with, without trying to get a great mix from the stage. Which I don't believe I can do anyway. If I had a dedicated sound man, I'd use multiple tracks, but I never have a dedicated sound man for my gigs.

Truthfully my biggest issue with backing tracks is getting the volume to be the same on all of my tracks. You'd think it'd be easy but I have a hard time with it. iPod Touches and iPads have the ability to automatically make all tracks the same volume, but it does so using compression and screws up the fidelity of some tracks.

• Members

I have used them but in hindsight I wished I had not.

It's almost like karaoke in a way and it doesn't get you any brownie points with serious music lovers.

I say, if you are weak as a solo artist, add a member or two.

I say if you are weak as a solo artist, you need to practice until you are no longer weak. I think the gig determines backing tracks - if a place wants people to dance and they don't want to pay for a band, the choices are either DJ or solo musician with backing tracks.

I think that being versatile is the best approach - if you can't play without backing tracks, you're going to lose out on some gigs. If you can't play with backing tracks, you'll be ignored for some gigs and the guy who has them will be hired.

• Members

'Purists' who are adamant not to use any backing tracks will sure lose out compared to those who do.

Unless you are a world class virtuoso like Tommy Emmanuel who doesnt need any backin tracks...then I will salute you.

If you are nowehere at all near his level...then think again.

Many egoistic 'purist' musicians will tell you lies that they are heavily booked throughout the year even without any backing tracks used. This is nothing but a cushion/ excuse to their egos.

• Members

As I've stated before, I use tracks because half of my "brand" is that I'm a guitar player that can solo well enough. It's hard to do a convincing job of The Thrill Is Gone, or do a credible Benson's On Broadway without backing tracks. I just use bass and drums, no keys, no strings.... just the bare minimum.

Now to the OP's question. when I was in a Top 40 band many, many years ago we worked six to seven days a week. Our keyboard player eventually developed a cocaine habit and had to move on. Instead of replacing hime I just sequenced all his parts for the pop stuff and we played the rock stuff live.

Having multi tracks back then was handy because I sequenced everything but only used the keyboard parts in the band. We could also play without a bass player, or without a drummer and so on. The lead singer and I would do a duo using the same tracks - very handy.

If you're using tracks, and you're switching form quartet to trio, to duo, to single, having the flexibility is great.

Lately though as I've stated in other threads, I can fit my whole "show" in a large hockey bag. Guitar sits in my gig bag on my back and wheeled bag in one hand, with a coffee in the other if I want - okay I need a third hand to open doors.... Sitll working on that.

• Members

That's not always the case. Some styles of music simply don't require backing tracks. Classical guitar-no one expects backing tracks even if you aren't a world class player. Flamenco-same deal. I have done hundreds of solo gigs and never needed to use tracks. Even singer songwriters don't have to use them. I saw a guy in Kauai who is a full timer-he didn't use them either. He was a solid guitarist and a real good singer. He also did gigs with groups. I don't have anything against tracks, I just prefer not to use them. I won't get a solo gig where people are looking to dance, unless they are flamenco dancers ;)

I would agree that if you are trying to work every night, being able to work with tracks would expand your options, but not everyone wants to work every night, or play to tracks.

'Purists' who are adamant not to use any backing tracks will sure lose out compared to those who do.

Unless you are a world class virtuoso like Tommy Emmanuel who doesnt need any backin tracks...then I will salute you.

If you are nowehere at all near his level...then think again.

Many egoistic 'purist' musicians will tell you lies that they are heavily booked throughout the year even without any backing tracks used. This is nothing but a cushion/ excuse to their egos.

• Members

I'm using Cakewalk Sonar for my tracks, lyrics, etc. They are multi-track, but pre-mixed at home. The only thing I'm mixing on the fly is the combined track volume against my guitar and vocal.

Of course, if someone wanted to sit in and play bass, or something, I can easily turn that track off.

Archived