useful traits other than musicianship

pogo97

• Moderators
Daddy mack must be old and not so good lookin!!!! Kiddin----but those first two are not over rated. I know a girl who plays that is MARGINAL but shes hot and like 18/ yeah shes getting gigs

Guilty on both counts, but some of the most successful solo acts in Los Angeles are older guys... skill and experience will trump youth and good looks almost every time. ;)

• Moderators

I am, though...you need to retain your dignity as a solo act especially. Without it you have nothing of value to offer.... IMHO, of course.

Pardon the off handed attempt at humor. Of course you're right. I was just commenting on all the success we see without any regard for dignity. But believe me, I'm right there with you.

• Members

Guilty on both counts, but some of the most successful solo acts in Los Angeles are older guys... skill and experience will trump youth and good looks almost every time.
;)

Yeah, but skill, youth and good looks together trumps everything.

• Members

Knowing your own valuation.

Networking skills/Communication (nothing worse than finding out last minute that something didn't go well because of a miscommunication)

Having a penis (I kid, but that is apparently helpful in my local scene)

A working liver (again I kid, no not really)

• Members

Sometimes they don't matter. I know a guy locally who gets tons of gigs.

He frequently gets hammered on stage, sometimes to the point of not being able to play, and dresses like he just finished cleaning out the garage. The couple of times I saw him play he was absolutely awful.

No problem getting gigs, though?? Guess he has some of those other traits.

• Members

To add more of a positive post to the thread. . .

I find that NETWORKING is really key. I get more gigs this way than any other.

I'd really like to say that professionalism is paramount, but I just don't think it is - at least not in the bar gig business. I take a very serious and professional approach to this business, but I don't know that it gives me any edge over the other guys. Most places don't care about professionalism so long as you show up, play, and bring a crowd.

Being professional is more helpful in booking private gigs.

Honestly, I'm not sure that being able to bring a crowd isn't more important than anything else on the list. After all, at the end of the day, the bar is really only interested in selling drinks.

Archived