Had a good gig this weekend

MDLMUSIC

• Members

Friday night I did my one-man-German-band show at a German restaurant in Bakersfield.

Played from 5:00PM to 9:00PM to a packed house, which in this case was about 40 people (it's a small restaurant).

At the end of the night, the owner gave me a check for $100, the price we had agreed upon.

When I checked the tip jar, I found $98 in it.

Not too shabby.

• Moderators

How do you pull an all German show out yer ass? On solo guitar? Pretty impressive.

I'm a California kid but lived in Milwaukee while going to school in Chicago. The Oktoberfest scene there is awesome. The guys are pros. The drums, bass, and guitar are always studio players, some up from Chicago. The sax, accordion and vocalist are the old school Lederhosen wearing stylists. The bands get put together around these German performing families. It's big there. It's awesome too. I didn't realize the Polka could be sexy till I lived there 4 years... it's like a St. Pauli Girl label come to life!

• Members

How do you pull an all German show out yer ass? On solo guitar? Pretty impressive.

I'm a California kid but lived in Milwaukee while going to school in Chicago. The Oktoberfest scene there is awesome. The guys are pros. The drums, bass, and guitar are always studio players, some up from Chicago. The sax, accordion and vocalist are the old school Lederhosen wearing stylists. The bands get put together around these German performing families. It's big there. It's awesome too. I didn't realize the Polka could be sexy till I lived there 4 years... it's like a St. Pauli Girl label come to life!

When I do the solo German band gig, I use a cheap Yamaha keyboard with the automatic bass/chord accompaniment. I usually use the accordion voice to play melodies. I wear lederhosen, speak with a German accent, and use a variety of props to spice things up. Audience members always come up and tell me how enjoyable it is to not only hear the songs, but to be entertained visually at the same time.

My newest tune is "Play that Polka Music, Weiss Junge", which is basically "Play that Funky Music, White Boy" set to a polka beat and sung with a German accent. Had 'em rollin' in the aisles last Friday.

• Members

Do you play German music often? I think of it as a seasonal Oktoberfest type show.

I know one German song - Seeman, Deine Heimat Ist Das Meer - and it seems to be acceptable to audiences in general. I sing one verse in English to reach people that don't know German.

Now I'm pricing lederhosen. It's expensive, one web site advertises $ 150 - $ 200 per each.

• Members

Friday night I did my one-man-German-band show at a German restaurant in Bakersfield.

Played from 5:00PM to 9:00PM to a packed house, which in this case was about 40 people (it's a small restaurant).

At the end of the night, the owner gave me a check for $100, the price we had agreed upon.

When I checked the tip jar, I found $98 in it.

Not too shabby.

Congrats! Now...buy me a beer!

• Members

Do you play German music often? I think of it as a seasonal Oktoberfest type show.

I know one German song - Seeman, Deine Heimat Ist Das Meer - and it seems to be acceptable to audiences in general. I sing one verse in English to reach people that don't know German.

Now I'm pricing lederhosen. It's expensive, one web site advertises $ 150 - $ 200 per each.

I also do that song. Big hit in the early 1960s.

I used to have some real lederhosen, but I put on too much weight to fit into them. So I made some fake lederhosen by cutting the legs off of some grayish-green pants and using one of the legs to make a fake "pocket" in front. It looks pretty authentic until you get close up and realize it's not leather. I still use the "suspenders" that came with my original lederhosen and the colors match almost perfectly.

I'd like to buy some new lederhosen but, as you noted, they are too darned expensive.

• Members

:D

Believe it or not, I had already written a polka version parody of "Poker Face" as soon as I heard it. My version is similar, except it has a polka beat, is sung with a German accent, and is called "Polka Face".

Somebody told me Weird Al also has a version out, which doesn't surprise me.

Archived