Guitar amp- What amp do you bring for gigs?

stunningbabe

• Members

It's a tremendous acoustic sound with very useable effects i.e chorus, delay reverb eq etc. it has two channels so for small to medium rooms even if the have a PA I tend to just turn up with my own amp mike and guitar through tc helicon gtx then both into the amp and I am self sufficient. It is seldom that I wish for more umph.

Cheers Steve

• Members

For acoustic, direct into my SA220. I don't want to carry or set up/tear down any more gear than I have to, and the SA220 reproduces acoustic guitar as well as any acoustic-guitar specific amp while also serving as a vocal PA. It also gives me a smaller overall stage footprint than if I were to use separate PA and guitar amps. For electric, I use a Mesa TA-15 head and a DV Mark Mini12 cab; both are very compact, and each weighs around 12 pounds, all in keeping with my philosophy of smaller and lighter is better than not. For bigger gigs, it's a Mesa Mark IV with two Mesa cabs.

• Members

As often as possible, I plug directly into the PA for solo/trio acoustic gigs...currently using a Crate CA60D when I have to use an auxilary amp, but only when I have to work with a less talented drummer, who never learned how to play musically.

For electric gigs, I prefer one (or occasionally both) of my Red Line Peavey Envoy 110(s)...sounds great, super reliable, and doesn't weigh too much.

• Members

AC60 as well

Chose it cause my duo partner uses one

For most things we do it makes things simple, compact, and easy to dial in

2 gits 2 mics 2 stands 2 amps

For electric, I practice at home thru a little Fender Mustang 1.

I havn't played a gig in years that requires anything more than my little 20watt Crate Vintage Club I bought back in the mid 90s.

If I needed something bigger, I've got an old Peavey Artist 240 combo in reserve I've owned since the 70s. 2 channels, 100w thru a single 12" Black Widow, will blow the doors off any juke joint.

• Members

If electric, Traynor YCV20 (15 watt tube amp) with a very-efficient Eminence Cannabis Rex speaker in place the stock speaker. If piano, a Motion Sound 200s or the PA. If acoustic, the Motion Sound 200s or the PA. The Motion Sound has a mic input, which means I can use it as a PA if the venue is small or quiet--works well.

• Members

If I ever have a reason to jam/sit in/fill in with a band I have an Ampeg reverberocket that works out nice. For my solo act its the sansamp psa-1 direct into the PA board. One of the best setups I've seen used by a guitar player in a band was two amps with an a/b switch. For clean tones a Roland jazz chorus, for overdrive a Marshall half stack. That was an awesome amp setup back in the day, and if I were in a band without financial or physical restraints I would try it. There's something about the built in stereo chorus in the Roland!

• Members

Roland AC90 (bigger brother of the AC60) for acoustic gigs. Just like Steve mac and Pine Apple Slim said, small, compact, easy to dial in a nice sound. Also it has a 2nd channel that has a dual jack (1/4"/xlr) that can be used for a 2nd guitar or vocal.

For electric I use a Marshall MG250DFX.

• Members

One of the best setups I've seen used by a guitar player in a band was two amps with an a/b switch. For clean tones a Roland jazz chorus, for overdrive a Marshall half stack. That was an awesome amp setup back in the day, and if I were in a band without financial or physical restraints I would try it. There's something about the built in stereo chorus in the Roland!

I remember reading that James Hetfield of Metallica did something similar, except with a Roland Jazz Chorus A/B'd with his Mesa/Boogie amps. I considered doing something similar over the years, but decided I'd rather carry a chorus pedal and switch overdrive off and on with a pedal or footswitch instead. The less stuff to carry, the better!

• Members

Pogo, Yeah the THR is a cool little amp. It hasn't got a direct out because it is supposed to be a practice amp, 10w, this is the first occasion I've heard about it being used for a gig. Did you mic it up?

Wasn't me, but no, he didn't mic it. It was an acoustic jam, so he just needed to get above the acoustics.

• Members

No acoustic amp here since I just go direct through the PA but when I play my telecaster I use this.

Roland%20Cube%2060-1.JPG

Roland%20Cube%2060-3.JPG

Roland%20Cube%2060-4.JPG

It's compact enough I can haul it on the city bus to gigs if I have to. It's also quite loud and I like it's clean tone of course but it also has a functional overdrive channel which works nicely for blues.

• Members

The less stuff to carry, the better!

I have been going in that direction myself. A friend of mine uses this antique Boss thing that supposedly has an amp emulator in it. Since he mostly plays cleaner things, it sounds pretty good. The distortion isn't awful. But, I did note that I was making at least an extra trip out to the car for my small tube amp and associated tackle. I went to music go round and bought a pod xt a while back, just to check out. I was really blown away. And this is an old one. Since I play rockabilly, I'm not really getting into fuzz territory. I just found that I was able to dial in a very satisfactory tone that is very repeatable using that thing. And it's an older {censored}ty one. I can't imagine how good the new ones are. I ended up buying a footswitch, too. Both of them fit in an old laptop bag I had.

So, I have cut down on the weight of my gig rig, but it sure seems like I have way too many patch cables and wall lumps now. I need to put all that stuff in one magic box. One cable in. One cable out.

• Members

I remember reading that James Hetfield of Metallica did something similar, except with a Roland Jazz Chorus A/B'd with his Mesa/Boogie amps. I considered doing something similar over the years, but decided I'd rather carry a chorus pedal and switch overdrive off and on with a pedal or footswitch instead. The less stuff to carry, the better!

Yes, being light weight and compact is where it's at now days because most gigs are one nighters. But I also don't want to sacrifice sound quality for portability. My 4 space rack is smaller and lighter than most amps and sounds fantastic. But back in the days of sit down gigs or two weeks/six nights a week gigs portability wasn't as important.

Archived