Reasons Why I Hate Football

Howie22

• Members

-It's all anyone wants to do, talk about, or think on the weekends during the fall.

-My FB feed is covered up with football stuff during the fall.

-It coincides with hockey season and sucks up all the coverage (try to find an NHL score on ESPN on a Saturday)

-Football fans just cost me my Sunday gig :mad:

• Members

don't worry, there ain't'a gonna be no hawkey fer a while...
;)

Well, not NHL. Here in Canada, they're trying to sell "vintage games" on television. Perhaps from back when the Maple Leafs won games.

Meanwhile, the local arena is booked solid with hockey hockey hockey and has been for a month.

• Members

Reasons I hate football:

1) Too damn many challenges and reviews. Refs are part of the game. Deal with it.

2) Too damn many penalty flags. Let 'em play.

3) QBs are treated like pansies.

4) Too many players are uneducated "college graduates" who can barely construct a sentence. College was never supposed to be a farm team system for the NFL. MLB teams have to have and pay for their own farm teams. NFL should, too.

5) Too many players are thugs who have their behavior excused in order to play football. They end up being a menace to themselves and others in the offseason.

6) Ben Roethlisberger.

7) Randy Moss.

8) The Oakland Raiders.

9) Oakland Raiders fans.

• Members

Okay, you guys are missing the entire point of this thread.

***I just lost my regular Sunday gig because football fans are complaining that they couldn't listen to the game while a musician was playing***

I put this same thing under a different thread title:

Reasons Why I Hate Playing In Bars

• Members

Okay, you guys are missing the entire point of this thread.

***I just lost my regular Sunday gig because football fans are complaining that they couldn't listen to the game while a musician was playing***

I didn't miss it at all. it's just not why I hate it. :p:lol:

When I was on the road full time, we used to play in Canada a lot, and every weekend we had to deal with "Hockey Night in Canada", where we'd be playing and not a soul would be watching us as everyone was glued to a TV. And inevitably, someone would walk up to the stage and yell "Jayzus, do ya have to?" or something to that effect. If they're just going to be pissed that you're playing, you're better off at home.

• Members

I didn't miss it at all. it's just not why
I
hate it.
:p:lol:

When I was on the road full time, we used to play in Canada a lot, and every weekend we had to deal with "Hockey Night in Canada", where we'd be playing and not a soul would be watching us as everyone was glued to a TV. And inevitably, someone would walk up to the stage and yell "Jayzus, do ya have to?" or something to that effect. If they're just going to be pissed that you're playing, you're better off at home.

Yeah, I believe "Hockey Night In Canada" is a bigger deal up there than Monday Night Football is in the US. They take it seriously up there. It blew my mind the first time I visited Canada.

I have played some gigs where the people were pissed and boo-ed me when I started because the sound was turned off for some game. That wasn't the case here. Honestly, I had expected this all summer, but this is an awesome venue (for me) and they wanted to try to continue the music during football. While I never heard anyone complain and still had some people interested in the music, I guess they were getting complaints.

No hard feelings toward the venue, at least they tried to make it work. You can't fault them for doing what's right for their business. They've been great to me. They want me to start back right after football season, and when I inquired they said they would give me some other dates between now and February. Still, it hurts the old wallet a bit to lose the weekly gig.

• Members

I put this same thing under a different thread title:

Reasons Why I Hate Playing In Bars

Well, there IS that!!

I'm finally getting to the point where private gigs are starting to roll in more frequently. It'll still be a while before I get to the point that's all I do.

• Moderators

Actually, here (L.A.), where we have no home football team, it is worse during Basketball season (which lasts a lot longer and there are a lot more games than the NFL). God forbid you play a gig on a Laker night...and I used to intentionally not book during the playoffs when the Lakers were hot back in the Shaq days...

sadly, sports bars are about the only ones who pay around here... :mad:

• Members

I feel for ya', Howie! Here in Nebraska we have the Huskers, a bunch of spoiled 18-21 yr old male divas who are worshipped by everyone in the corn fed state. I can't get many bars to commit to a Saturday night in the fall until they find out what time the game is. They usually don't announce it until about two weeks prior to the game. It's no fun and it makes me hate football more than I already do.

• Members

If it's a sports bar you have to figure that's going to happen. Plan ahead for next season?

Truthfully, I did expect it. However, it's not really a sports bar, and that's exactly what they assured me of when I asked about football season a few months ago. However, they do have a ton of TVs and certainly cater to sports fans to a degree.

Again, there's no hard feelings toward the venue. They have been awesome to me, and they are just catering to what their clientele wants (in my mind, that makes them very smart). I'm not mad, it's just unfortunate. Hats off to the venue for at least trying to have football and music coincide on the same night - it just didn't work!!

• Members

I dont have a problem with it. No offense, but anyone that lives in the United States should probably understand that there's no gigs on a Sunday afternoon or Thursday during football season. I just had my Thursday gig moved to Wednesday because of football.

• Members

I dont have a problem with it. No offense, but anyone that lives in the United States should probably understand that there's no gigs on a Sunday afternoon or Thursday during football season. I just had my Thursday gig moved to Wednesday because of football.

No problem there and no offense taken. It's understood and expected. Still, that doesn't mean that it doesn't suck.

I understand that I have to get up and go to work every Monday morning, but it still sucks. :)

It is what it is - not a lot I can do about it.

• Moderators

or Monday nights!! :wave:

Archived