Need help with a solo setup with a laptop...

Kreatorkind

• Members

I have a gig coming up that I will be doing solo...

Here's my idea. I want to perform with just my acoustic guitar, a mic and my laptop. I've been creating backing tracks in Cubase and I want to run everything from the line out of my USB interface to the speakers.

Here's my questions...

1: I want to use VST effects on my voice and guitar. What program should I use that hosts VSTs but doesn't eat up a ton of memory/cpu real estate?

2: Smooth transitions between songs. I don't want to stop and load the next backing track in between songs... I want there to be a sort of polished feel to the set. What's the best way to accomplish this?

• Members

1. I use rack mount units for effects.

2. I mix songs down to mp3 files and use itunes for playback. All songs are available as fast as you can click a mouse. Playlists help take the guess work out of what song to play next.

Thanks for the response...

However, I don't own any rackmounted effects. Everything is VST.

• Members

What mixer are you using? What format are your backing tracks in - midi, karaoke, MP3? Do you want the same effects for both your voice and guitar?

If you're using backing tracks, what program are you playing them in now?

Personally, I'm using midi sequences played with WinAmp on a laptop, and going from the laptop's sound card (via mini jack to dual 1/4") out to a mixer and then on to one or two speakers (and sometimes a sub). Then I either use the mixer's internal effects, an external effect unit or sometimes nothing on my voice and just guitar pedals for my guitar effects.

I would convert my midi's to MP3's but I've already done a few conversions and Ive got around 250 to 300 files; too much work! That and the fact I like to tinker with my files afer I play a gig - change the key, or adjust the tempo, maybe add more choruses at the end, and so on.

• Members

I've been using Cakewalk Sonar to play my backing tracks, which are midi. I used to use a Tascam US-122 interface, but now I use the TC voicelive play GTX as my interface, and I'm able to send preset settings and toggle harmony using midi commands through the USB that simultaneously carries the audio. No external mixer, the VL allows me to mix tracks, vocals, and guitar, and output to the PA. I never used VST plug-ins in a live setting, but since Sonar calculates latency, it does have that capability. Since I use the VL play GTX for vocal and guitar effects, I haven't gone the live VST route. When I was using the tascam interface, I had a Digitech VL4 for effects.

As far as smooth transitions between songs, Sonar lets you make a playlist, and you can individually set each song with three options.

1. immediately play the next song

2. wait for key press

3. wait X seconds

In my case, at the end of a song, the next one loads and I just hit the spacebar to start the next song. It's easy to rearrange the playlist on the fly, just drag and drop the song for requests, or if you want to change up the order.

• Members

Thanks for the responses guys... here's my setup:

My laptop. HP ProBook w/4GB ram, Intel Core i3 2.3 Ghz, Windows 7 home premium. I want to run a couple VST fx live on my vocals and guitar while the backing tracks are playing. The tracks are 24bit wav files.

My USB interface:

io2_top_lg.jpg

I'll be running my acoustic guitar and condenser mic into this. The line out will be going to the PA in stereo mode.

My biggest question is what VST host would be best to use for this kind of set up, that won't drain system resources too much?

• Members

Looking for clarification. You keep saying "PA" do you mean a powered speaker or two, or do you mean a mixer and then speakers? If you aren't using a mixer how are you going to EQ your vocal and guitar? If you are using a mixer - doesn't it have effects? Or is it that you are looking for a plug in that acts as a mixer?

Whatever the case, I would personally use an external mixer and external effects. I don't like to have all my eggs in one basket but YMMV.

• Members

Like Mike I am using the TC Helicon for effects and harmonies as well as a mixer, mike, guitar and iPad using onsong all into it and then out into whatever the venue has I.e. powered speakers a board or if nothing eg a small venue straight into my ac60.

Cheers Steve

• Members

Thanks for the responses guys... here's my setup:

My laptop. HP ProBook w/4GB ram, Intel Core i3 2.3 Ghz, Windows 7 home premium. I want to run a couple VST fx live on my vocals and guitar while the backing tracks are playing. The tracks are 24bit wav files.

My USB interface:

io2_top_lg.jpg

I'll be running my acoustic guitar and condenser mic into this. The line out will be going to the PA in stereo mode.

My biggest question is what VST host would be best to use for this kind of set up, that won't drain system resources too much?

That interface should have come with Cubase LE. The trick is to monitor direct if latency is a problem. Basic EQ, compression and reverb shouldn't be a problem

• Members

Why don't you simplify the whole thing? Compress the tracks to mp3 and load them on an i-pod, connect that to your powered speakers and plug your mic direct or run a stand alone effect unit for your mic prior to going into the speaker?

Depending on the laptop, the software, the connections, and the interface is a lot of "chances" that something may crap out during a gig, especially with USB interfaces that may have latency issues.

Rod

• Members

Agreeing with others and repeating myself, but I realy think the laptop/iPad/iPod should be playing the tracks and the vocal and guitar should have their own separate path to amplification. A TC Helicon or a small Yamaha mixer (for instance) would work well, and allow for some flexibility if the computer started to act up.

• Members

I'm trying to do something similar myself. I'd like to go out with nothing but a laptop and an interface. I think it can be done. Don't let narrow minded people put doubts in your mind. Nothing new gets accomplished if you don't push the envelope.

Have you looked at control surfaces to possibly use as a mixer? Please keep us informed as to how you're progressing.

• Members

I'm trying to understand the advantage of using VST effects. Mixers have efx built in. Nanoverbs can be found for $50. Routing your mic through a PC to get efx sounds complicated, but my mind is open if someone can explain the pros and cons.

He doesn't have any outboard effects and wants to use what he has. Sounds logical to me.

• Members

Personally, I can't imagine ever trying to pull this off. I would be too worried about the computer locking up and latency. However, I have no doubt that it can be done.

There is an app for Macs called MainStage that is designed for this. I would assume something similar exists for Windows, but I wouldn't know what that might be.

• Members

Anything can be done, you can strap wings to a car and make it fly, doesn't mean it's the most practical and safe way to do it.

In a live music environment the goal should be to eliminate as many chances of snafus as possible so you can focus on delivery and performance. Use more tech as you need it to achieve the goal, but to over-complicate something so simple just because...well I won't do it but that's just me, especially using a low end consumer product that will have latency issues and is so dependent of different elements all working together at once, in challenging environments such as a bar or an outdoor gig.

JMO

Rod

• Members

Anything can be done, you can strap wings to a car and make it fly, doesn't mean it's the most practical and safe way to do it.

In a live music environment the goal should be to eliminate as many chances of snafus as possible so you can focus on delivery and performance. Use more tech as you need it to achieve the goal, but to over-complicate something so simple just because...well I won't do it but that's just me, especially using a low end consumer product that will have latency issues and is so dependent of different elements all working together at once, in challenging environments such as a bar or an outdoor gig.

JMO

Rod

I get your point. But I'm dealing with two challenges... #1 I have no money to buy gear.... and #2 I have to make what I have work. I'm making the transition from strictly a recording artist to playing live again. I don't have much in the way of equipment... but that freeware I found is actually exactly what I need and my computer is optimized for as low a latency as possible. I was playing with the program all last night and it works perfectly. So, this show will go off without a hitch.

• Members

So, this show will go off without a hitch.

LOL... My God. I have a pretty decent M-Audio setup and a hot-rodded PC at home and on numerous occasions I've had latency issues where I'd have to make adjustments or re-boot.

I seriously wish you luck because you're trying to get back out playing and that's awesome. I'd either call in some favors for a some gear or sell something. ;)

• Members

LOL... My God. I have a pretty decent M-Audio setup and a hot-rodded PC at home and on numerous occasions I've had latency issues where I'd have to make adjustments or re-boot.

I seriously wish you luck because you're trying to get back out playing and that's awesome. I'd either call in some favors for a some gear or sell something.
;)

Well, I'm only running 2 vsts and the program itself uses almost no resources. Just a liquid tubes reverb on the mic and bbe sonic maximizer on the guitar. Ive had no issues at all. It barely makes a dent in the cpu usage. Just those two effects and a wav playing has presented no problems so far. Thanks for the wushes of good luck though! :)

• Members

Well, I'm only running 2 vsts and the program itself uses almost no resources. Just a liquid tubes reverb on the mic and bbe sonic maximizer on the guitar. Ive had no issues at all. It barely makes a dent in the cpu usage. Just those two effects and a wav playing has presented no problems so far. Thanks for the wushes of good luck though!
:)

Seriously! Good luck and have a great time! When is the first gig?

Archived