Got me the hat, need me the songs

steve mac

• Members

I am going to add a few up tempo Country songs but have had little exposure to them. Following a few suggestions here I have discovered Zac Brown and Alan Jackson. Anyone with far greater knowledge than me point me in the direction of such songs that work well with single acoustic guitar or maybe BTs. I am specifically looking for fun types like Chicken Fried or Toes etc.

any and all help much appreciated

Steve

• Members

I am going to add a few up tempo Country songs but have had little exposure to them. Following a few suggestions here I have discovered Zac Brown and Alan Jackson. Anyone with far greater knowledge than me point me in the direction of such songs that work well with single acoustic guitar or maybe BTs. I am specifically looking for fun types like Chicken Fried or Toes etc.

any and all help much appreciated

Steve

The two you named plus Five O'Clock Somewhere

• Members

An oldie but a goodie is Jimmy Buffet's "Great Fillin' Station Holdup". It is the first cut on his "White Sport Coat and a Pink Crustecean" album.

[video=youtube;V15MFVzbnK4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V15MFVzbnK4

Great Fillin' Station Holdup

I pulled into the regular pump

I was feelin quite at ease

I rolled down my window and told the man, fifty cents worth please

Then out jumped my partner with his trusty pellet gun

He said, boy this is a holdup, keep a pumpin and don't run

Chorus:

And now I wish I was somewhere other than here

Down in some honky tonk, sippin on a beer

Yes I wish I was somewhere other than here

Because that great fillin station holdup

Cost me two good years

We got fifteen dollars and a can of stp

A big ol jar of cashew nuts and a japanese tv

Feelin we had pulled the biggest heist of our career

Were wanted men, well strike again

But first lets have a beer

Chorus:

Because that great fillin station holdup

Cost me two good years

(guitar instrumental)

We were sittin in the krystal

About as drunk as we could be

In walks the deputy sheriff

And he's holdin our tv

Roughed us then he cuffed us

And he took us off to jail

No pictures on a poster, no reward and no bail

Chorus:

Cause that great fillin station holdup

Cost me two good years

• Members

Sorry, I don't know what a parrot head is. But as most people outside of the US have never heard of Zac Brown nor Jimmy B then as long as its a catchy tune it's fine by me. I will have a good listen of the suggestions tomorrow I have been playing Chicken Fried around the house for the last couple of days and my wife is now complaining that it is stuck in her head so that ones definitely going in.

Thanks guys Steve

• Members

Accoustic songs I like (I know just another damn drummer) that are commercial/known

Margaritaville seems like it would be cool.

Beatles --bunch of songs

Elvis --bunch of songs

Off to the rodeo - unsure of artist

Billy Joel? I know it's piano but I'd think acoustic would be cool as ****?

Not so known:

Great White - Wasted Rock Ranger.... someday I wanna see an acoustic old guy play this tune

• Members

Dumas Walker by Kentucky Headhunters

heres my version of

they have quite a few songs to get the people going

the Tractors have good supply of songs too. check them out.

i always dip back into the classics to appeal to a wider variety of country fans.

heres my take on

originally done by buck owens

waylon/willie always goes over.

heres my take on

i kick it a tad faster to chickin' pick the solo.

i like to play country songs that let me free flow on the leads.

these songs are fairly easy to sequence and fun to play

• Members

Great suggestions I now have an abundance of songs to try out - am loving the Trashy Woman one - Jay, I sat listening to you today whilst I worked at my computer and after the fifth listen decided that the only thing we have in common was similar hats, you blew me away with your talent.

To all many thanks

Steve

• Members

Egg Sucking Dog by Johnny Cash. Followed by Folsum prison. I am not a believer in playing it safe songwise. Playing the exact same {censored} as every other solo act, even in Turkey, is lame. If you love the song, the audience will dig it, because it comes through in your performance. If you are in Turkey, listening to a Turkish artist play a song you don't know, doen't it make the song bad? Nope. Only if the performer is bad. In general, cover folks spend way too much time agonizing over their set lists.

• Members

If you are in Turkey, listening to a Turkish artist play a song you don't know, doen't it make the song bad? Nope.

To my western ear and I am not alone with this, Turkish music is so different it's jarring and almost always sounds like someone is going through the worst experience of their lives. I really don't know any westerners who would get through more than one song. That's not to say its not good, it's just so different in its keys and phrasings that unless you are brought up with it, it sounds discordant .

I totaly agree with the same set lists though, that's why I am having a big revamp. The biggest problem I have is that I play bars and complexes of holiday makers that range in age from children to pensioners. So the best tunes are one that where hits in the 60s and. 70s and then covered again by artists more recently. But as has been said here a good tune is a good tune.

Thanks for your suggestions

Cheers Steve

Archived