USB connection from IPAD to mixer

jayare

• Members

Hi all..this question is for any Bose T1 users...

The Bose T1 has a USB connection,and so does my IPAD.

Is there a USB cord I can buy to do this connection?

Right now I am using the headphone jack from the IPAD (Mini Stereo) to 2 quarter inch jacks to channel 4/5 on the Bose Mixer,but I'm thinking that the USB connection would be much better.

Thanks

John

• Members

Yes, I am doing this, although with mixed results. I bought the camera connection kit and use a standard usb type 1 to usb type 2 cable into the T1, channel 4/5.

The sound quality via usb (using the T1 as the sound card) is substantially better than the headphone out. This is why I'm fighting a few demons to make it work.

I have to route the usb input to ch 4/5 rather than direct to the output since using the 30 pin out in the ipad renders the volume controls inoperable and sends full volume by default. So then the volume knob for 4/5 becomes the only way to control ipad volume in the mix. If all of the source material (backing tracks?) are equal in volume, this may not be an issue for you. For me, even though I mix my tracks very close in volume, I still like to be able to make slight adjustments on the fly.

Also, I get "kicked off" my connection sometimes and have to unplug and replug the usb cable to get it back. This has never happened during a song but rather after long pauses between songs, like if I walk away and come back 5 min later. Annoying, but not necessarily a deal killer.

The rest of my issues are app related and that is very close to being resolved by using the Stage Traxx app which does what I need it to do better than On Song, etc.

I wonder how much the camera connection adapter is a hindrance performance-wise. I'd love to find a 30 pin to usb type 2 cable but so far, no luck there.

• Members

Yes, I am doing this, although with mixed results. I bought the camera connection kit and use a standard usb type 1 to usb type 2 cable into the T1, channel 4/5.

The sound quality via usb (using the T1 as the sound card) is substantially better than the headphone out. This is why I'm fighting a few demons to make it work.

I have to route the usb input to ch 4/5 rather than direct to the output since using the 30 pin out in the ipad renders the volume controls inoperable and sends full volume by default. So then the volume knob for 4/5 becomes the only way to control ipad volume in the mix. If all of the source material (backing tracks?) are equal in volume, this may not be an issue for you. For me, even though I mix my tracks very close in volume, I still like to be able to make slight adjustments on the fly.

Also, I get "kicked off" my connection sometimes and have to unplug and replug the usb cable to get it back. This has never happened during a song but rather after long pauses between songs, like if I walk away and come back 5 min later. Annoying, but not necessarily a deal killer.

The rest of my issues are app related and that is very close to being resolved by using the Stage Traxx app which does what I need it to do better than On Song, etc.

I wonder how much the camera connection adapter is a hindrance performance-wise. I'd love to find a 30 pin to usb type 2 cable but so far, no luck there.

Are your settings set to time out after a certain period?

I'm trying to get time to try my Alesis multi mix 8 usb this way.

• Members

Are your settings set to time out after a certain period?

I'm trying to get time to try my Alesis multi mix 8 usb this way.

That's something I could check out. It seems to be at random times rather than at fixed intervals but there must be something along those lines going on there.

In a typical practice session it keeps the connection as long as I keep going with usually no more than 30 seconds between songs. Sometimes I get a loud beep when I unplug the cable and the beep continues until it reestablishes the connect. Also, sometimes I get a message saying the device is incompatible. I click "OK" and it connects anyway.

• Members

Yeah jayare, i don't think that cable exists. I did see an adapter that went from usb 1 female to usb 2 male which would allow using the apple cable with that adapter at the mixer end. That is important because the camera connector thingy does not lock in to the ipad the way the charging cables do and the weight of the usb cable wants to pull it right out. This may be why I lose my connection sometimes. Plus, I've already knocked it out with my hand by accident.

Oh, today I played for an hour and had no connection issues. Only thing I did different was to turn off wi-fi.

Archived