13's

Potts

• Members

Mediums on my dreads and jumbo's, and sometimes lights (12's) on the smaller bodied guitars. These days though, I'm playing mostly nylon-stringed guitars. (Hi tension). I don't recall what I'm using on my electric guitars, since I rarely play those now. I'm using flat-wounds on my Gibson ES-175, but I don't recall the gauge. I've got a PRS Custom, Les Paul Custon, American Strat, American Tele, and they're all lights I believe; probably a mixture of 9's and 10's. Personally, I hate 9's because they're like rubber bands.wave.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Loner

View Post

I've got 12's on my acoustics and 10's on the electrics. I'm sure 13's sound great, but I have enough trouble with my hand going numb from the 12's!

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Allan Hall

View Post

Pretty much the same.

Yeah these 13's wont be lasting long.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by fingerpicker View Post
Custom light (11's ) only because i use the looper and play lead. Other wise 12's.

You use a loop pedal too Darrell, 13's must kill!
I put them on when I decided to drop my tuning a half-step to help my vocals. They're still pretty bad even at the lowered pitch. I went in the studio the other day and tuned it up to 440 and they "recorded" wonderfully though!

• Members

12s on all the acoustics; J16 D'Addario J16 Phosphor Bronze on the wooden bodies and Elixir Nanoweb 80/20 on the Rainsong. 11s on the electrics; D'Addario Pure Nickel sets. I have been using these same gauges for years and like stated earlier, you get used to bending etc.. Heavier gauge strings are totally worth using for those great ringing tones, especially on a semi acoustic electric like the Gibson ES335.

• Members

11s or 10s on acoustic (Martin or Elixir), 10s or 9s on electric (D'addarrio).

I will typically jump between both, so I like the consistency of string gauges that are close.
With compression and EQ, I've never had an issue getting a good tone. Thicker strings make that easier, but my fingers cry when I play a guitar with 13s.

• Members

GHS Groundwound Light top/heavy bottoms 10 to 52. Sometimes I swap the .010 for a .011. And 11's in flatwound.
No true acoustic's--just a Lace Acela acoustic/electric. 'lectric's are Univox Coily, a Univox Hi-Flyer, and a Synapse. All tuned 1/2 step low.

Archived