What to do with underperforming gigging partner?

billperz

• Members

I feel terrible. I’ve been playing with my partner for a year or so but it’s starting to wear on me. Don’t misunderstand me his heart is huge and you’re hard pressed to try and not like him. Problem is that he never practices, makes no attempt to polish his playing, refuses to try and become proficient with the digital world and has zero ability to play a song using the proper rhythm and vocal timing. But he’s a wonderful person. I’ve no aspirations of achieving any sort of success as a musician. This is something that I do for enjoyment. Fact is, I find myself not having any fun. Thoughts or advice from all of you would be wonderful and respected.

• Members

It's hard to tell it like it is with someone that's so nice. Does anyone have band meetings anymore? Maybe he also has things to get off his chest. Either get some communication going or make another plan. If he just doesn't have the ability to improve, take Steve's and Note's advice.

• Members

All of your responses are greatly appreciated for sure. I’m going to go with Daddymacks advice and sit him down and establish some goals he/we should be aiming for. Again I’m not in this to achieve success as a musician ie...

going out and performing. I just need to step back and put things into perspective. Call me soft but I really like the guy and don’t want to make things awkward. On a positive note he makes my playing sound fantastic!!!!!

• Members

I suggest that you video your performances and/or jams. You can make up some story about promo or whatever. From the recordings, you might be able to see what needs to be improved, perhaps on both of your parts. Funny thing about recordings though, they don't always tell the whole story. things that were awful while performing might go unnoticed after the fact. Kind of like a difficult paint job might look the same as a paint job that was

easy.

I'm with daddymack though. Take it slow. Unless the venues or agents are complaining, you can afford to take your time and hopefully sort things out in an amicable fashion.

• 3 months later...

Archived