No announcement yet.

I Forgot my iPad this Weekend

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A bit OT, but transposing has come up.

Transposing song chords can be a bit of a nuisance in text-based systems. I use InDesign for my sheets and ran into the transpositions gotcha: if you use find and replace on the chords it trips over its previous actions. For example, if you're going from C major to D major and you start with C, when if gets around to changing the Ds to Es it will change all of them, including the "Ds" that you just changed from C. There is no one-step solution to this that I know of.

So what I do is transpose from the original key to Nashville notation (the major tonic is 1, the dominant is 5 and so-on) then I go from Nashville to the destination key. And I've written simple scripts to automate it.

From the key of C major to Nashville:

set rootArray to {"C", "D", "E", "F", "G", "A", "B"}
    tell application "Adobe InDesign CS2"
    tell selection
    search for item 1 of rootArray replacing with "1"
    search for item 2 of rootArray replacing with "2"
    search for item 3 of rootArray replacing with "3"
    search for item 4 of rootArray replacing with "4"
    search for item 5 of rootArray replacing with "5"
    search for item 6 of rootArray replacing with "6"
    search for item 7 of rootArray replacing with "7"
    end tell
    end tell

and from Nashville to D major (« is a sharp in the font I use and character id 92 is a flat)

set rootArray to {"D", "E", "F«", "G", "A", "B", "C«"}
    tell application "Adobe InDesign CS2"
    tell selection
    search for "1" replacing with item 1 of rootArray
    search for "2" replacing with item 2 of rootArray
    search for "3" & character id 92 replacing with character 1 of item 3 of rootArray
    search for "3" replacing with item 3 of rootArray
    search for "4" replacing with item 4 of rootArray
    search for "5" replacing with item 5 of rootArray
    search for "6" replacing with item 6 of rootArray
    search for "7" & character id 92 replacing with character 1 of item 7 of rootArray
    search for "7" replacing with item 7 of rootArray
    --comment: the following deals with some enharmonic glitches
    search for "E«" replacing with "F"
    search for "F" & character id 92 replacing with "E"
    search for "B«" replacing with "C"
    search for "C" & character id 92 replacing with "B"
    search for "«" & character id 92 replacing with ""
    search for character id 92 & "«" replacing with ""
    end tell
    end tell

There is more than one way to do this. Notes Norton

Comment

Originally posted by Drummer44 View Post
      The 12" and 10" screens are decent; smaller is OK for back-up but not optimal. Songbook is excellent, although I don't use many of its capabilities. Mobilsheets Pro is also excellent, hampered only by the process of jumping back and forth in full scores (a pedal helps), as does sequential page set-up).

A bit more about navigation in full scores in an app like Mobilsheets Pro and similar...

The more difficult method is to jump back and forth -- as with a two-pedal Air Turn (for example) set-up for forward and reverse -- to display the appropriate "next" portion of a given song.

An easier method is to insert additional pages as necessary -- page 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 4, 1, 2, etc. -- and then only use a "forward" pedal. Seems like it can become more automatic, with slightly less chance of hose-up. Sometimes helps to also highlight starting points on those additional pages (as in the middle of a page) with additional markups for faster recognition.

-D44
      ************************************************** *********************************

Old guy, just trying to play through the arthritis...
      - Balance is a virtue; loud for its own sake is not... and loud won't fix bad
      - I may not interpret ridiculous, crazy, or stupid the way you intended
      - Common retail products are never awesome (thermo-nuclear probably is, though)
      Assume the requisite list of stuff...

Comment

Working...
      X