Old age is a high price to pay for cheap car insurance

steve mac

• Members

Two unsolicited offers of regular gigs have come in first from a bar/restaurant that has just been taken over (I have played there in the past, nice gig) another from a brand new bar/restaurant that is in an upmarket part of town. Now the latter has offered the work based on recommendations from others and say they will comfortably beat the fees from elsewhere. However with this one, because of a nearby ancient temple, the nearest parking is about 250 yds away whereas the former I can literally park by the door.

With my Gigbag I can now load-in/out in one trip if it's not too far therefore, with regrets it's no to the upmarket place, my old bones just can't hack it no more.

ps even thought of purchasing a trolley but it seems such a faff.

Cheers your old fart

• Members

There are a couple of well paying gigs I have given upon simply because of access. One of them is on top of a ski hill- actually a bit more than a hill, it's one of the longest, if not the longest gondola rides in the US to the top, some 25 minutes. I have to load the gear, drive 30 miles, unload it, move it to the gondola staging area, load it on two gondolas, unload it, carry it to the stage and set it up. Then I have to reverse it. I w end up handling the gear about 8 times before the day is done. They pay decently, tips are good and they feed you dinner, but it's just a nightmare turning a three hour gig into an 8 hour day. There are a few like that I just won't do anymore.

• Members

This is one of the times I'm grateful to be a worship musician. The church has a very nice PA, my amp stays there (I'm playing electric these days since another guitarist who only has an acoustic is using the only DI box), the only thing I need to bring is my guitar, and parking is a block away, maximum. I'm no spring chicken myself and some of the gigs you've described sound like a royal pain. That said, pogo97's suggestion of a lackey does sound good. ;)

• Members

We did cruise ships for 3 years back in the late 1980s. We switched ships to get to different ports, but we stayed on each from 6 to 8 months.

Get in the elevator with sax cases, walk to the lounge and tune up. Everything else was locked up on stage. After a while I bought some chain and padlocks and locked the saxes on stage too. Not that I was worried about theft, but little children with the run of the ship can be very curious. We learned that when before locking the road case, little fingers twiddled all the knobs. Fortunately we had notes of where they belong (nowadays I use pictures on my phone).

After 8 months when it was time to jump ship, we almost forgot how to pack everything up ;)

Notes

• Moderators

my last pick-up gig was a weird load in...stairs up to get in, steps down to get to the dance room, so the rock'nrolla cart was only good from the back of the Rogue to the club door [75 feet]. Would I have turned down the gig based on that? No. I've had worse and weirder load in situations, like the Queen Mary [the grounded cruise ship, not the trans bar], and a few festivals where we could unload reasonably close, but had to park in what seemed like another county. One trip of 250 yards [or even metres, mate ;) ] would not have stopped me from getting paid to do what I love...unless it was uphill both ways, through oncoming traffic in a hailstorm and an active shooter scenario.

:wave:

• Members

It was delightful. Walk from our cabin to the elevator, then to the lounge, carrying one key to work the padlocks that kept the instruments and synth modules from being messed with.

Also, on the ships, all the musicians, dancers and other entertainers room in the same section and become like extended family. It was nice.

Archived