Ein Prosit?

Notes_Norton

• Members

We got hired to play an Oktoberfest at an Elk's lodge. Not familiar with playing Oktoberfests and seldom play Elk's lodges (we're over their budget). Anyway Ein Prosit was requested so I learned it. It's about 40 seconds long and when do you are supposed to count to 3 in German and then in German say "Drink".

I have no idea how often to do this. I don't think it will be a wild crowd, as the town we got booked in is filled with retirement folks.

Has anyone had an experience like this? If so, anything to offer? How frequently? (I don't want to be responsible either for someone drinking to much and hurting someone on the road or in the opposite direction, being a party-pooper).

Thanks,.

Notes

• Members

Has anyone had an experience like this? If so, anything to offer? How frequently? (I don't want to be responsible either for someone drinking to much and hurting someone on the road or in the opposite direction, being a party-pooper).

These *are* adults, right?

Drinking makes such fools of people, and people are such fools to begin with, that it's compounding a felony.

Robert Benchley

• Members

The guy who booked us said, "Use your judgement". We have about 6 polkas in our book plus the waltz Du, du liegst mir im Herzen. I'm thinking about doing Ein Prosit either before or after each polka. I don't know if they are going to want all 6 in 3 hours. I'm sure we'll do Beer Barrel, Liechtenstein, Pennsylvania, and Clarinet. Of these, I like the Clarinet Polka the best because it is a technical challenge to play. I'll open with Pennsylvania to get them on the Oktoberfest mood, because I think most people of that age group are familiar with the melody.

I'll be playing the Ein Prosit by ear, but any pre-advice as to where to start is appreciated.

Notes

• Members

Octoberfest is a celebration of beer I wouldn't worry about over consumption.

Are you doing doing Danke Scheon the old Wayne Newton son? Lots of audience participation. Don't forget to yell Ziggy Zaggy, Ziggy Zaggy Hoi Hoi Hoi after every song too!

• Members

Hopefully we'll get away with it. The flyer said oom-pah and American music.

I've played luaus for these folks, they usually want 2 or 3 Hawaiian songs and that's it.

Same for St Pat's day. Danny Boy, about 5 others (actually American songs celebrating Irish-ness) and that's it.

And the modern Polka is actually an American thing based on Polish traditional music. At least that's what they taught me in school.

Notes

• Members

Okto-beer-fest went well, we had more oom-pah than they had oomph so they went home tired and happy.

Like many Elk's parties, once every half hour was more than they needed, the rest was good old popular music that kept the dance floor full.

The guy who booked us was happy, and the audience had a great time.

Live is good.

Notes

Archived