I am a bit precious....but

steve mac

• Members

Yesterday I was booked to play a patio gig 3pm until 6pm, now as god/allah/vishnu (please insert deity of your choice) would have it the heavens opened that morning and my town got rain for the first time in six months, whilst maintaining a temperature of around 100 degrees. As Bobby Goldsboro would say " the pavements were steaming".

Still by two it had stopped and so i arrived in plenty of time but found that with my crowd numbering about 200 and the next door medical centre open the nearest parking was a good stretch away. Now with the purchase of my gigbag I can now load in with one trip but only if it's fairly close and therefore it required two sweaty horrible trips, in fact I nearly popped into the medical centre for check-up.

The event was a late afternoon, boozy tea party and the crowd were all seated nicely, under a huge awning, the part allocated to me however was still holding water. With a large uncoiled hosepipe obstructing well everything. I found the owner/manager and showed him my predicament, so the first thing he did was release the hosepipe from the faucet whilst failing to realise it was still under pressure, drenching us both. Much to the enjoyment of the audience.

Next he got a squeegee type thing a proceeded to slooch the water towards where I would be playing, whilst I tried to explain that I wouldn't play if there was a real danger of me dying through electrocution.

Finally we compromised and I ended up setting up at the corner of the patio that looked like a tip (photo).

now when I had been booked I asked if they could provide a barstool and sure enough there was one, fully adjustable and covered in leatherette. Unfortunately it was the only one and had been left out that morning in the deluge. So despite appearing to be dry, once I sat on it I ended up with a wet bum.

So sweaty and brassed off, with a damp posterior, I started and as I was only using my Yamaha dbr10 on a pole was well impressed with the sound coverage. I hit my stride and was just getting the crowd engaged, these were not my preferred drunken bar carousers but a more genteel prosecco soaked bunch, when the owner stops me and says they want to do a raffle for a charity, can I do it, just a few thing they said....45 minutes later the raffle finished. Now they said could I do an auction of a half dozen items? So well over an hour passed.

I decided just to play through to the end without a break, but to be fair I wasn't really feeling it now, I am a believer in the audience gets the performer they deserve and all momentum had stopped in relation to interaction so I became audio wallpaper.

I finshed on time and as I started packing up a nice chap came up and brought with him a beer for me saying how much he had enjoyed it. He was followed by a couple who said they were on holiday and where was I playing in the next few days so they could come. Finally as I staggered to my car another car full of women (my favourite sort of car) pulled along side and asked if I was free to play a friends restaraunt in a nearby town.

So bad day/good day...just the business we are in I guess .

96658fbc87aa0c69729f9324c5c54ae0.jpg.51d6619255cd74ec02540b03a6946bb1.jpg

249f9b756c2abf44cf44341b614089a7.thumb.jpg.0a62a2dec07fe0fe083c01b0981975da.jpg

• Moderators

yep, ya just never know...I signed on for a pick-up gig few weeks back for tonight, because our most lucrative gig of the year was cancelled [2 days before they had to pay us half]...and over the ensuing weeks, people dropped out of the pickup gig for a variety of reasons, and now...I'm fronting, with their drummer, my kb player and my good buddy Ronnie on bass...so we shall see what we shall see in a few hours. Maybe I will do a magic trick...

Archived