Get me a Gigbag and make it Snappy

steve mac

• Members

Ages ago I floated the idea here of purchasing a gigbag to replace my hard shell case and the response certainly polarised folk. Well after reading what seemed to be every review on the net and actually getting to try a couple of quality bags. I took the plunge and bought a Gator Pro-Go.

One of the issues I had was that my guitar is 3.3/4 inch deep and most of the quality brands of gigbag are just 3inches. I did contact the manufacturers some of whom said it might fit and others (Fusion) who said it definitely would not. Gator however listed their bag at 31/2 deep and well that was close enough for me.

Of course the fact that it was half the price of the most expensive I was looking at and had the best storage didn't hurt either.

one of the first problems I encountered, having bought it in the UK was how to transport it on a plane home as without a guitar in it, it is difficult to argue it should travel in the overhead lockers. So a quick trip to the supermarket and I wrapped it in Saran Wrap (cling

So having safely arrived for the first time I tried my guitar in it and it fits like a glove. It's proper test of course was last night on its premier outing to a local bar gig and because of its storage I was able to reduce my load by a whole bag, this combined with being able to sling it on my back meant that I could do a single trip in from the car to the venue which is a huge plus from me.

so so overall I am glad I changed.

As an aside, I am confident that with drops, falls and knocks the guitar is safer in the gigbag re hard case but was uncertain of crushing type incidents, so I put my Burns solid body in there and trod on it, full weight both neck and body and it never felt in an doubt it would be fine. Now I am not saying I would jump up and down on it but in real world situations it's more than enough.

815ac1a501db63e1d28a4133320d7614.jpg.9266e6a5773888eaf07c3ed3b90c15e5.jpg

93be983c6bee14412dd27121350618f6.jpg.a964f5a01bb752cff985dd1ff9589702.jpg

4b94ac1388ee37239c6b04c717a635dd.jpg.4ce0c402c0490a1b619efd7fcfcdf3ee.jpg

9952a0d55f80c0cb8cc4e260a270caa9.thumb.jpg.2460209effc090eb4d67e668d7b325cf.jpg

• Members

Good for you. There is more than one right way to do this.

Me? I'd never use one. I prefer flight cases. But my gear rattles around in the van along with another guitar, sax, wind synths, tactile MIDI controller, a half dozen small cases and 8 stands.

Sometimes I wish had had a Jimmy Buffet acoustic/vocal by the pool gig ;) - (only when setting up and tearing down, not when gigging).

Notes

• 1 month later...
  • Members

For anyone looking for soft bags to hold miscellaneous stuff - cables, a music stand etc - so that everything is in one big bag - look at 'Dive' bags.

Intended for scuba divers with Flippers and all that stuff - amazon have them,

They are just as sturdy as hardware bags but often cheaper.

I manage to get two orchestral music stands in this one plus a load of other stuff.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004M77S3Y/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And this one holds LOADS

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01AARPQRY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Both much cheaper and just as heavy duty as the one I used to use

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008LMQZQW/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A2KVF7QXNCLV8H&psc=1

Archived