Look at your fingers.

mr3lions

• Members

Disclaimer: I'm not a Dr. I just had a conversation with a chiropractor this weekend.

Plus sorry it's so long.

I played a gig at a winery this weekend. Saturday was great so I kept playing for most of the gig. Sunday I woke up to pins and needles in my fingertips.

Played Sunday (another long one) but took longer breaks.

After the gig I went out with friends. One of the girls is dating a chiropractor. He says "may I look at your hand?" He had me make a circle with my thumb and first finger. He asked me to squeeze but was able to break the circle very easily. Did the same on the other hand and he couldn't break the bond.

With my permission he made a couple of quick adjustments to my hand. After a couple of twists and turns my wrists pops LOUD. Felt great. He also rubbed the top of my forearm. This is where the problem is he said and it's been there for a while.

Heshowed me some stretches to help out-

1: Fist strait out and bend it down to point to floor.

2: opposite motion, palm down, pull fingers up to make a ''stop' sign.

He said I should be doing these stretches all the time to the point where people notice.

Gotta say, it's been a couple of days and I feel great.

Other interesting thing. He says he can spot a guitar player in public due to their fingers curling up when their hands are at their sides. Apparently, fingers should point down lol.

As I said at the start, sorry for the long post and I'm not a Dr.

• Members

Further to my reply; I keep encouraging people to stop "playing through". Artists just don't get paid enough to wreck their hands by playing without proper breaks. We would need a few hundred thousand dollars to risk injury to our hands and fingers - not many of us are doing those kinds of gigs.

• Members
These warm up finger exercises are great.

Great stuff.

Funny, I spend a lot of time making sure my voice is warmed up, and lubricated.

My hands not nearly as much.

Maybe it's because I've come to being a solo performer from being a singer first.

Anyway, I'm definately going to be adding some of these.

• Members

I have had my paws go a bit numb after playing 3 hours sets, 3 times a week.

I just rest them for a day or so.

Chiropractors are like the quacks of the medical field, my buddy swore by the one he saw for 20 years.

Get a more comfy guitar, ya know sometimes a thin neck that feels great in your paws initial, isn't the best for the long haul.

I played a Taylor 414 for years and ended up with a ganglion cyst on my wrist.

Sometimes it would ache, and sometime not.

I when to my primary and he said leave i alone.Since I have amazing health insurance I went to an orthopedic surgeon. He drained one, but 3 times. it Kept coming back.

So after a year, I still had it and left it alone.

They told me it was called a bible bump. and I was like what the hell is a bible bump.? Well you take your hand and hold it out ,and someone takes a bible and smashes the crap out of the cyst.

I was thinking that might be painful. I tactfully has a friend do it.

Gone, like for ever.

I asked my friend why didn't they do this the first time around. He said, you have great health insurance man.

• Members
I have had my paws go a bit numb after playing 3 hours sets, 3 times a week.

I just rest them for a day or so.

Chiropractors are like the quacks of the medical field, my buddy swore by the one he saw for 20 years.

Get a more comfy guitar, ya know sometimes a thin neck that feels great in your paws initial, isn't the best for the long haul.

I played a Taylor 414 for years and ended up with a ganglion cyst on my wrist.

Sometimes it would ache, and sometime not.

I when to my primary and he said leave i alone.Since I have amazing health insurance I went to an orthopedic surgeon. He drained one, but 3 times. it Kept coming back.

So after a year, I still had it and left it alone.

They told me it was called a bible bump. and I was like what the hell is a bible bump.? Well you take your hand and hold it out ,and someone takes a bible and smashes the crap out of the cyst.

I was thinking that might be painful. I tactfully has a friend do it.

Gone, like for ever.

I asked my friend why didn't they do this the first time around. He said, you have great health insurance man.

As an ex-soccer player I once had a "baker's cyst" I was told to hit it with a rolling pin lol.

• 6 months later...

Archived