Turbosound iNSPIRE iP300???

ptkbass

• Members

Ladies and Gentlemen;

My Carvin AG-300 has an intermittent loud-as-hell white noise thing that makes the amp no longer gig-able. And Carvin has gone chest-up and six feet down---so there's no service. I've lusted after a decent line array system, and have considered the newer Fish-Stick (Nice because it includes includes both a sub-out and a full range XLR output) and the Turbosound iNSPIRE iP1000 and 2000. But this new Turbosound iNSPIRE iP300 clearly would be loud enough and low enough for my solo acoustic gig. And lighter. And cheaper. But is it big enough to have an effective line array effect for the back row? Has anybody played with this puppy?

Peace

Paul K

• Members

The specs listed at Sweetwater say its max SPL is 122db which is the same as my iP1000. If that's true , and if with actual music it is as loud as my system I would say yes it would. In any case that 600 watts is most likely a lot louder than the AG-300. I have one and it can't compete with my iP1000's. The MAP price of $399 looks pretty good too. I'm tempted to buy a couple to use as side fills.

• Members
The specs listed at Sweetwater say its max SPL is 122db which is the same as my iP1000. If that's true ' date=' and if with actual music it is as loud as my system I would say yes it would. .[/quote']

Agreed, it'll be loud enough in the front row. But are there enough speakers to preserve the line array-style dispersion pattern that makes your iP1000 also loud enough for the back row?

• Members

In my iP-1000, yes the line array has less drop-off than the point source speakers they replaced. That's why I bought them, I didn't have to turn them up so loud that the front row complains. The old speakers that was the main issue. The back row was saying turn it up and the front rows were getting pissed. The added benefit was because the speakers were not having to be turned up as loud as before, in many cases I could put them behind us and not get feedback. Thus no need for monitors in small to medium sized rooms. Once you get to large bingo hall sized rooms they do need monitors. We play classic rock, pop & r&b, definitely not soft easy listening material. These speakers are quite versatile, I have seen them used singly in restaurants for solo guitar or piano and I have seen them as I use them 2 with the entire band (trio) going through them with a mixer. I have also used these in a DJ setting with very good results.

Now the iP-300 I haven't heard them anywhere so I wouldn't know if they perform as well. But I don't think that Turbosound would make them as a line array if they don't perform like a line array. They also make standard point source speakers too. Turbosound is well known in DJ circles, but many musicians are generally unaware of the brand. Its changing though. I have had a lot of musicians come to our gig and comment about the speakers. They always seem to mistake them for Bose.

• Members
Price looks good, I like the blue tooth and the IP 1000 that my friend has sounds good.

114 lbs is a deal breaker for me. Unfortunately I'm too damn old. Lol

The one the OP is talking about is not 114lbs. That is the iP3000, the iP300 weighs only 26.2 lbs.

• Members
How far back is the back row? I'd also consider regular speaker cabs elevated to get the sound further back in the room. Doing an acoustic act' date=' do you really need a subwoofer?[/quote']

Before the Carvin unit acted up I would put a 2nd speaker on a pole as high as the ceiling would permit; it sounded great. But since it looks like I'll be shopping, I'd like to buy into the line array thing since it looks so much less imposing and provide an easier load in. And no, I don't need a subwoofer, but IMO most subwoofers aren't sub-anything; they're just regular woofers that Bose found a more impressive name for. Take away the "sub" in a Bose system and it'll sound thin, thin, thin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I tried out bose L1 and L2 a few years ago with B1 bass modules. They were a hassle to transport and set up compared to speakers on sticks. The bose compact would be easy to set up but I need more power since I'm not just an acoustic act.

I was probably thinking of the bigger turbosound units that come with a bass module or sub.

Archived