Happy Birthday?

mr3lions

• Members

I just sing Happy Birthday, and try to get the crowd to sing along. The Beatles song seems to have run its course long ago. I found it only worked once in a while, and usually only if people were dancing, and even then, only after singing the traditional birthday song first. My opinion, why prolong the agony and interruption?

Seriously though, I play a lounge where according to the "head waitress" I'm one of the few guys that will sing Happy Birthday. That's amazing to me. What a great way to make the staff and patrons angry. Maybe the non singers hate tips...

• Members

I really don't mind playing it at all. I was just hoping that somebody had something different that may be a bit more memorable for the crowd. The ones I've see- Adam Sandler & Al Yankovic are a little to "dark". Lots of jokes about being closer to death etc.

i guess I should just separate myself from the competition by giving the audience what they want lol

• Members

I'm happy to do the traditional. If there's two birthdays in the same night the second gets a "reggae" version. If there is a third out comes "One Two T'ree Faw" Ramones version. Never happened yet but the fourth version would be Bill Murray's "Nick The Lounge Singer".

• Members

The traditional rules. People expect it, people want it, and people are disappointed if they don't get it.

The Beatles thing never worked, I think because of the line "It's my birthday too" which diminishes the honor of the person you are celebrating by subliminally pointing the direction back to the band.

If we have more than one birthday, we try to bunch as many as we can into the song. Then we invite them to meet each other, or some other shtick that comes to mind at the moment.

We are all entertainers when we play live. No matter how great an artist you are, if you want an audience, you need to be an entertainer as well.

In most cases, if you don't do the traditional Happy Birthday song, you are doing yourself a disservice.

Distinguish yourself from other acts in other areas - FWIW that's my advice.

Notes

Archived