OT? Guess I couldn't pull this song off...

Shaster

• Members

One of my musical buddies, and a top notch piano player, has a daughter that just released her album. He posted a few links on FB and I thought, oh no, I'll have to say something polite about his kid's performance. So glad to say the music is IMHO incredible. If you're looking for some different (yet classic) music, or something to impress the missus, check her out. Michelle Creber. Like I said, I'd love to do this song, but I don't have 1/10th the chops... Wouldn't be surprised though if some of the female solo performers start attempting this one, once it gets heard more.

[video=youtube;7-ZV8moCBQU]

• Moderators

she needs to back off the pop filter so it can do its job!! Too much sibilance and hard 't'...her producer should have corrected this.

She has a good voice, but this song, IMHO is way overproduced, which detracts/distracts from her vocal performance.

• Members

Interesting, I thought it was almost underproduced. I suspect the pop filter thing was for theatrics, but who knows, maybe it's a new trick. I know on a vocal I tracked about six months ago (apparently on a $15k Neumann) the engineer had me very close to the pop filter, and very close to the mic. Vocals do seem to be produced differently these days. Listening to some of my daughter's playlists, I hear amounts of compression and top end I never would have heard twenty years ago - and that's when I could hear!

• Members

Yeah, that E7.... takes it in a whole new direction. Great "party trick". Years ago I read or heard a story about Clapton (true or not) who went to hang out in Nashville, and barely opened his guitar case he was so overwhelmed by the talent.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

music doesn't breathe anymore, there is no space left unused...and compression is as ubiquitous as autotune. mp3 format requirements really killed old scholl production values and methods.

I'll take vinyl, thanks.

Archived