For the Record(ing)

steve mac

• Members

I want to do a few reviews on YouTube and although sorted for the video side of things am not sure about the sound. I want the viewer to be able to hear roughly what I can hear in the room, allowing for the compression by YT itself. So I was thinking along the lines of a small Zoom, Sony recorder etc used in tandem with the video and then married up in software later. Or maybe just hook up a condenser mike to a PC and do it that way?

Do you have an iPad? I use mine, along with a program called Pinnacle Studio for video recording and editing. It's inexpensive, fast, easy to use, and flexible.

The problem with video cameras with built-in mics is that the best location for the mic isn't usually the best location for the camera. So to get around that, I use an Apogee MiC, which is a nice sounding yet relatively inexpensive condenser mic that connects right to the iPad's Lightning connector. With a longer cable, I'm better able to position the mic (usually in closer to the person speaking, or the gear that's playing) for good sound while keeping the camera further away to get the shots I want.

• Members

You most likely know about the incredibly useful program called Audacity, but iffen you don't here's a link:

https://www.audacityteam.org/download/

It's a freeware program that installs on most any laptop and will let you take a headphone or aux send from your live mixer and get a clean recording to later sync to your video. As Phil O'Keefe rightly points out, where the camera is, is unlikely to get a good sound. Not to mention that on most affordable cameras (and phones) the sound goes through a heavy compressor/limiter to set the levels. Yuck

• Members

so i have to carry a laptop around too? doesnt sound like something thats necessary... a solution to the “obviously this is the only way to do things” exists and was offered... a viable, efficient and useful alternative that ive actually used many times, not just watched a youtube about or echoed a review i read online... just as rightly so, noob... watch yer tone, junior...

Archived