iPads outside

mr3lions

• Members

I use OnSong on an old iPad as a place to store all my songs. I find it's a great tool when you get a request you haven't played in a while or even for when I get a brain fart.

good news/ bad news is I just booked a summer of patio gigs and after doing a quick test the iPad doesn't seem to work very well in the direct sunlight.

Solutions? (Besides not relying on an iPad)

• Members

Just in case anybody is having trouble finding it, the white text on black background setting in OnSong is found by tapping the settings gear, tap "Settings" then "Display Settings" and you'll see the switch labelled "Enable Low Light Mode".

That's the mode in which I always use OnSong. In addition to being easier to read under almost all light conditions, if your band's stage lighting does blackouts in between songs it prevents the iPad from lighting up your face like Casper the Ghost while the stage is dark.

• Members

With a combination of hat, reverse text, sun glasses, anti-glanti-glare screen protector, and a cardboard shade I made I should be good. Alternatively, I could put this much effort into actually LEARNING the songs and not have this problem in the first place.

​​​​​

• Members

The reverse video function sounds like a great idea. I don't use an iPad but I do use a MBP and I've struggled with this at outdoor gigs. I wonder if that mode is available with the Mac's settings or perhaps within Digital Performer itself?

• Members
The reverse video function sounds like a great idea. I don't use an iPad but I do use a MBP and I've struggled with this at outdoor gigs. I wonder if that mode is available with the Mac's settings or perhaps within Digital Performer itself?

https://www.nhs.uk/accessibilityhelp...n-Mac-OSX.html

or, to just do it, press control - option - command - 8

Pretty ugly, but it makes that change.

What I'd like, before I move over from books, is black text, but definable background colour, maybe that changes between songs so that instead of getting blue-face from your ipad, you get a pleasant warm wash.

• Members
Assuming you wear sunglasses when you play in the sun, maybe polarizing sunglasses would help?

I don't know about iPad, but on my laptops, polarizing sunglasses blacken the screen even indoors. I guess my sunglasses are polarized 90% off the ThinkPad's screens.

Notes

Archived