supporting each other

pogo97

• Members

I live in a small town and the musicians mostly know each other. A small few are quite supportive and you'll see them having a beer at many other peoples' gigs. Mostly, no.

Anyway, this morning I got an email (my wife got one last night) from one of our musicians asking that I listen to a song he'd entered in a contest and then vote for it every day for the next few weeks as the rules allow. He has done me a favour or two in the past and I've done the same but…

I'm very tempted to reply "Thanks for the information. Come out to one of my gigs and we can talk about it." But I haven't. Instead I'm grumbling here. I admire his ability to reach out, but I haven't seen him at one of my gigs in years. I've been to a couple of his.

Am I being over-sensitive?

• Members

Why not? Do you like the song? I would do it if I thought the song was decent. But if the song didn't sound good to my ears I wouldn't. It really wouldn't be doing him any favors promoting a song that I thought wasn't very good. I wouldn't expect him to come to my gigs either way.

• Moderators

If the song has merit, and the guy is a local, and you know him...and he has your email addy...at least vote for it once...but the 'everyday for a month' thing is a bit ridiculous....he has family for that ;)

I've done the 'vote for me' thing for forumites for many years...if the material has merit....a lot of it didn't.

Let me once again get on the soapbox and state with unequivocal fervor that music is not a competition...and should not be treated as such. It is an art form and should be appreciated for its merits, and not voted on.

• Members

it tells me that you are one of the good guys... you support others whether they are in your corner or not. you care more about the art than yourself at this level and im honored to know you exist... it helps me understand that there are still conscious beings walking the planet. thank you.

• Members

I believe in supporting each other, but too many guys here don't- which is fine. There are three of four young guys I have gotten into several venues and introduced to a few presenters and promoters who have hired them. I don't get much in return from them, but I don't expect it- they're young and just starting out, and they don't have a lot to offer right now. In any event, I would hope they would pass it on to younger guys coming up behind them, not an established old fart like myself.

I try to get established guys I know work as well, whenever a new venue opens up or I get hired for things like the monthly Music Walk ( multi-venues downtown with wine tasting and music), concert series, and so on. I tell the promoters about other guys I know. Again, I don't get much if anything in return from them, but that's fine. I firmly believe what goes around comes around and I'll be just fine. Good deeds aren't really good deeds if there is an expectation of a quid pro quo anyway, right? I'm such a believer in this principle that I even pay commission to agents on my tips- not because I think they're owed it, but because it just seems like the right thing to do. I know I don't have to, but there is something wonderful about being free of the fear of financial insecurity.

At 62, I just want to do good things for others with what time I have left, regardless of what I get in return. It costs me very little and the satisfaction I get from it is priceless.

• Members

I think I had a request to vote in the same contest. If I get the chance I might do it once, but I've got some serious navel gazing to do, so probably won't have the time to vote everyday.

As for contests... I can't believe it's been thirty plus years (yikes) that I was in CBC's Rock Wars. It was fun, and we didn't take it all that seriously, but we still came in second or third, nation wide. The winners were from back East somewhere. I remember Bruce Allen was one of the judges and that's about all that lingers in my memory banks. Our band was HB Concept. The difference between then and now is that we got paid, and also got to shoot a fairly expensive video. Nowadays what do you get - a like on your FB page and maybe a prize way down the road. Oh well.

Wow, just found a Wiki link, but no video https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Wars

Holy moly, I found the video. It's hilarious, for the content and the eighties looks! That's actually Brian Too Loud McLeod doing the solo, although I faked it for the video. Apologies if I've posted this before. anyway, this is what contests used to do.

[video=youtube;UL4uzxCLVPU]

• Members

I'd vote for a friend in a contest if I thought his entry was best, or if I though it was nothing more than a popularity contest. But ethically I can't vote for him or her if I didn't think it was the best entry.

But I'm weird.

I mostly work the same nights as other musicians, but when I can, I support my friends by showing up. Many of them do the same on my gigs. But not all.

After saying that, if I show up at another's gig many times, and don't get a return visit, I lose interest. I know it shouldn't matter to me, but it does. Thinking about it I guess it's some kind of dominance thing embedded in the brain from back when the alpha-ape got all the benefits.

Notes

BTW, we just played 3 Valentines parties and two Mardi Gras parties in a row. It's a little wierd playing Valentines (early as I give them a break on price) then Mardi Gras on Fat Tuesday, then another V.D., and the next night another M.G. and last night that was supposed to be another M.G. but just turned out to be generic with a few beads on the tables.

I'm a bit tired today, but it's a very good kind of tired. Not tired of playing, just tired from schlepping gear.

• Members

I need a reason to go out and see a local band or solo act. If I've seen the act before and didn't really like it, there isn't much chance of going out to see them again. If it's truly a friend performing, I'll go to their show regardless. Do I like their performance? Do I have a fun time when I go to their show? If not, why would I go?

The local music scene must be in a sad state if we have to coerce or con people into showing up.

• Members

What attracts me to second-visit somebody's gig is the songs. If they play interesting material -- their own or covers -- and play it well, then out I go. If it's Brown Eyed Girl, Margaritaville and/or Whippin' Post -- or if they loop or track -- then I'm outa there.

• Members

Busy is very good. We make 3/4 of our annual income between Halloween and Easter. "When the fishing is good, fish hard."

Very few days off from Mid January through the beginning of April. And that's a good thing.

Moving the gear is tiring, but like I said, it's a good kind of tired. But when the sax is in my mouth or the guitar in my hands or the mic against my face, there is no tired, just bliss.

• Members

I like to see what songs work, and what songs don't work when visiting my competition. It's kind of like industrial spying :D - actually, most of us will share that information with each other freely, but it's much better to see the audience response.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members

A few weeks ago I stopped in a bar and stayed not because the solo singer/guitarist was particularly skilled, to be fair he was average at best, but his set list. It seemed every song was one I had never heard performed live before and yet all quality well known songs. Thoroughly enjoyable.

• Members

I like to hear really good new-to-me songs. But I *love* to listen to really good songs I recognise but have forgotten exist. A buddy of mine sings this and I still remember the moment he trotted it out a few years ago. A big smile enveloped my whole body.

[video=youtube;AjczGwA7AZ4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjczGwA7AZ4

I've since learned it for the joy of singing, even though I don't play it in public (not pre-1950).

• Members
I need a reason to go out and see a local band or solo act. If I've seen the act before and didn't really like it, there isn't much chance of going out to see them again. If it's truly a friend performing, I'll go to their show regardless. Do I like their performance? Do I have a fun time when I go to their show? If not, why would I go?

The local music scene must be in a sad state if we have to coerce or con people into showing up.

If I want to see a local musician, it's at least an hour drive each way. If I'm going to make that effort, it's not going to be for a cover band unless it's my very best friend.

• Members

If I want to see a local musician, it's at least an hour drive each way. If I'm going to make that effort, it's not going to be for a cover band unless it's my very best friend.

Generally, I prefer covers of time tested standards, but I would have thought if the band was good, it wouldn't matter if they played covers or originals.

• Members

As much a I like to hear new things, I know the audience wants memories. I listen like a musician, and when I go to the symphony I do this and it elates me. When I hear another local musician, I want to see what works with the audience and what doesn't.

For me the relationship with the audience is a give to get one. The more I give them what they want, the more I get what I want from them. It's a little like making love with your significant other. Tease, please, you know they like that so do it, and in the end, you get the reward too.

Last night we played for a party of almost 100 French Canadians. Neither one of us speak French, and the English that most of these spoke was extremely basic tourist-speak. We paced the night well. After dinner they hit the floor, we brought them to peak after peak with lulls in between and at the end dozens came up to the stage to shake hands, hug, and give that European air kiss on both cheeks. The warmth and appreciation was food for our artists souls, and they booked us for 3 Saturday nights next year when they come down to Florida from the frozen north again.

What did we give them? The stuff that works for most of that age group, including the war horses like Mustang Sally, Brown Eyed Girl, Old Time Rock n Roll, YMCA plus the newer crossovers like Blurred LInes and Uptown Funk. Playing those songs and seeing the audience beaming appreciation and love back to us is elating. And in between those 'war horses' we get to play more challenging songs too. It's give to get.

Most of the songs we play are from audience requests and seeing what works with our competitor/friends.

Notes

Archived