Christmas outside the box

pogo97

• Members

I had a guy at my gig sitting with his family, and who asked if I could play a couple of Kid's Xmas songs for his daughter. Okay no problem. He was appreciative, so that was all good. Then he asked for Back Door Santa. I've only done that tune once or twice anyway, so I told him jokingly that it was too dangerous to play in mixed company. Kinda thought it was weird to do that song with his wife and daughter there....

• Moderators
I had a guy at my gig sitting with his family, and who asked if I could play a couple of Kid's Xmas songs for his daughter. Okay no problem. He was appreciative, so that was all good. Then he asked for Back Door Santa. I've only done that tune once or twice anyway, so I told him jokingly that it was too dangerous to play in mixed company. Kinda thought it was weird to do that song with his wife and daughter there....

it is a bar classic, but yes, I would not play that where kids are present. Better to do 'Boogie Woogie Santa Claus' or 'Run Run Rudolph'...

but not this! :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srHM2sIll68

• Members

Thanks for posting that! It actually wasn't as awful as I was expecting, having been forced to play the detestable "Strokin'" over the PA on breaks night after night at the height of the line dance craze.

For those lucky enough to have never heard it, Strokin' was a Clarence Carter epic which included the deathless lyric:

"Stroke it Clarence Carter, but don't stroke so fast

If my stuff ain't tight enough, you can stick it up my..."

And the line dancers - predominantly women, may I add - giggled and danced on...

Archived