If the Capo fits

steve mac

• Members

I am a believer in buying a quality product and crying once, rather than buying cheaply and crying many times as it fails to deliver. Which is why a few years ago after always using a cheap eleastic type capo I upgraded to a G7th capo and what an impressive bit of kit it is. Still looks and works like new, never fails to make me wonder at it's style and engineering. Then came my birthday yesterday and someone gifted me the new G7th performance 2 capo in sexy black.

The first thing I noticed was it is about half the size of the original and felt like a toy in comparison. Also the release button has been reversed.

On the guitar however it clamps the strings with the same power as the original, which is to say very cleanly and is just as easy to put on and adjust all it takes is a squeeze. Removing is a one handed operation. The only issue I found is that on higher frets if your technique isn't spot on, it's lack of bulk means there is tendamcy for it to slide. Therefore when playing the intro to Hotel California on the 7th fret that b7 has to be spot on.

This lack of bulk however means that it is easy to store on the headstock just above the nut.

If you are in the market this is a great choice that is all but invisible when in use.

• Members

No it sits behind like other ones, I tried to post photos but this forum won't seem to let me. It is very unobtrusive, but whilst it is great at letting the strings ring out, it does have a propensity to slide if your fingers rest against it when, as you say, real estate is at a premium.

• Members
I bought an NS capo pro by D'Aadario earlier this year that is also smaller. It doesn't get in the way of my fingers like other capos I've owned.

I'm a big Shubb fan but I bought an NS ''TriAction'' a while back and I like it. Being able to clamp it on the headstock is a plus, since you can't do that with a Shubb.

• Members

I use a Shubb. But it won't fit every guitar neck. If the neck gets too thick, the clamping action doesn't work and your need to buy a bigger Shubb. I saw George Jones once and he use what looked like an elastic-style capo and he just slid it up and down the neck as necessary. Pretty cool.

• Members
I use a Shubb. But it won't fit every guitar neck. If the neck gets too thick, the clamping action doesn't work and your need to buy a bigger Shubb. I saw George Jones once and he use what looked like an elastic-style capo and he just slid it up and down the neck as necessary. Pretty cool.

A Shubb won't work on a neck that's to thin either. I tried mine on a friend's Norman B20, which has a very thin neck, and it wouldn't clamp properly. But when they work they're great.

• Members

I have several capos by Shubbs, many by Kyser and a G7 that was given to me.

The G7 is ok, it's a bit heavy.

Personally I like Kyser capos for acoustic instruments and Shubbs on electrics.

If you like the Kyser capos, just carry a back up. I have had the spring break in one, way back.You can send the capo back to Kyser and they will replace the spring for like 20 bucks. I just tossed the thing out and bought another one for less.

Accessories come and go.

Archived