Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amp for both acoustic and electric guitars?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see they even managed to squeeze a kitchen sink into that Line 6 amp. Doesn't look like it will fetch my slippers and light my pipe, but I'll keep reading, maybe it will!

Comment

• daddymack
      daddymack commented
      Editing a comment
      it is Line 6...not a real amp, but an incredible simulation...

Hey guys! I need some help with choosing my very first amp. I'm 17, started learning to play almost 5 years ago and really enjoy it. I find garage and psychedelic sound suitable for me the most. I have a so-called "band" and we're all green, so please don't flame (:
    I've googled quite a lot and found out VOX have really good feedback, esp. in this review https://wisepick.org/best-modeling-amp/
    And I'm actually considering to buy the top 1 amp from this list https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017KBLIPW/
    (primarily because it has a quite cheap 40W model and we don't have much money yet)
    So, did anyone have experience with it and what's your opinion? If not, what will be your personal suggestion under $250? Maybe there's even a reason for buying solid or tube amp? Also, is 40W enough for backyard gigs?
    Thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by muricanpsycho View Post
      Hey guys! I need some help with choosing my very first amp. I'm 17, started learning to play almost 5 years ago and really enjoy it. I find garage and psychedelic sound suitable for me the most. I have a so-called "band" and we're all green, so please don't flame (:
      I've googled quite a lot and found out VOX have really good feedback, esp. in this review https://wisepick.org/best-modeling-amp/
      And I'm actually considering to buy the top 1 amp from this list https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017KBLIPW/
      (primarily because it has a quite cheap 40W model and we don't have much money yet)
      So, did anyone have experience with it and what's your opinion? If not, what will be your personal suggestion under $250? Maybe there's even a reason for buying solid or tube amp? Also, is 40W enough for backyard gigs?
      Thanks in advance!
      okay, lots of questions here....easy ones first.
      Vox built their reputation on tube amps, and they still make them. Their solid state [SS] stuff, IMHO is decent for bedroom practice, but not playing with a band.
      To be clear, most of the low wattage modeling amps will sound fine in your bedroom, but will sound like bees in a tin can when playing in a large room with a drummer. Worse outdoors...

A 40w SS amp wit ha 10" speaker will not keep up with a drummer. A band performance level SS amp should be a minimum of 60 watts.

I would suggest you look at reverb.com for a used amp, preferably a tube amp. A 15 watt tube amp will be appreciably louder than a 40W SS amp. Sounds weird, but it is true.
      This amp is just about right: https://reverb.com/item/18802109-fen...-xd-2009-black
      Another possibility is this: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_...RoCYqYQAvD_BwE

No it is not the greatest amp, but it is a cheap Chinese clone of the venerable Fender Blues Junior [15W, 1x12], at less than half the price, and will get pretty loud. It also has a 1W switch to allow you to push the amp at low [bedroom level] volume. These are not well constructed cabinets, and they will not accept physical abuse well. Don't stand on it or it will collapse

Here's the thing, all the googling and youtube demos mean nothing until you have the amp with your ax plugged into it. Go to the local music stores and try out amps, especially try tube amps you can't afford just to get a feel for what they can do [Marshall, Fender, BlackStar, Vox, etc.]. Then test all the solid state amps in your price range ....keeping in mind what I stated about SS amps wattage vs volume. Try out the Yamaha THR amps, try a Katana, try line 6, try Bugera...there are so many 'bedroom' amps out there today. There are also a plethora of relatively inexpensive 5W tube amps, but they won't stand up to a loud drummer either. What I'm saying is, get out and try every amp you can, other wise you'll know less than when you started.

Another thing...the amp world will open up the more you have to spend [inorite?] Save up another c-note, and you could probably find a used Blues Junior or a SS Champion 100 for around $350.
      Last edited by daddymack; 03-15-2019, 11:21 AM.
      "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Solipsism is the new empiricism. -Alan Burdick

Comment

Originally posted by muricanpsycho View Post
        Thanks in advance!
        First, welcome to the Forum. Second, this should be in the Amp Forum. Third, forget any "best" lists you find online unless it's one from a reputable guitar-related magazine. Fourth, on a personal note, if you're in the St. Louis area I have a 65 Watt Fender SS amp that's gathering dust and I'll sell it to you cheap. It does a good job of reproducing Fender cleans and it gets loud. The drive channel isn't great.

Check CraigsList or Guitar Center if there's one near you. Pawn shops typically have trouble selling amps and sell them cheap but quality varies and some pawn shop amps are junk. My main amp these days is a Roland Cube 80XL modelling amp that I found on CraigsList, and it does a fine job for the worship music I play, and has no trouble keeping up with a (reasonably sane) drummer. If you do go for a modelling amp, I'd choose Roland/Boss or Vox. Very straightforward to operate. The others I've tried practically required an engineering degree. See what's actually out there and get back to us. We'll try to narrow your choices.
        Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
        Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
        Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
        Member of the Schecter Society
        Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

DE, I almost moved this over to amps, but the general attitude there has always been to push high end gear, and little to zero help on entry level, whereas we, in here, are far more accommodating...
          "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Comment

Originally posted by daddymack View Post
            DE, I almost moved this over to amps, but the general attitude there has always been to push high end gear, and little to zero help on entry level, whereas we, in here, are far more accommodating...
            Aren't we, though…

BTW, what happened to the "reply" button?
            There is more than one way to do this. Notes Norton

Comment

Originally posted by pogo97 View Post

Aren't we, though…

BTW, what happened to the "reply" button?
              you mean 'comment'? Apparently it was too confusing for the Poli whiners to manage, so it had to go

Comment

Working...
              X