Sound Advice (new speaker)

steve mac

• Members

A few of you regulars may know that I am not in a position to go to the local store and try items before I buy, therefore I endlessly look at reviews and then get them mail order. Accordingly I have been pondering buying an appropriate (for me) mini PA. My research of course included asking on here and as the post title says I got some sound advice. which has led to my new Yamaha DBR10 speaker being delivered today. Now on the off chance that at sometime in the future. there may be someone with the same requirements as me, I thought I would record how I came to this decision and my initial thoughts. My requirements I am a solo act singing and playing guitar and occasionally harmonica and porch-board type stomp box. I make a lot of use of a looper pedal, I play tracks when I am on a break and my guitar is a hollowbody with both humbuckers which go through an ampsim and effects, also there is a piezzo fitted under the bridge which goes through a TC Helicon voicelive play acoustic. Most venues I play have their own PA and the quality varies, but is almost always too much and very old. there is never a sound man. Whilst I am happy to continue using the house pa in venues that have large patio areas, with in excess of 80 people, I wanted a convenient means of providing my own for smaller venues. which are all quiet bar restaurants that may only hold fifty or so. My research This is an interesting time to be in the market for a small pa and new and improved ones seem to be coming out all the time. They seem to fall into two categories. A traditional box on a pole or a line array. Both certainly have their merits and the supporters of one over the other can get heated on discussion forums. So how did I end up with what I did? The guarantee is 7 years The brand has a good reputation The cost, bearing in mind that anything I buy here is approximately 50% more than in America, this was a cheap as chips Resale, If I don't end up getting my use out of it, it will be easier to sell on to a bar than a fancy new line array Weight, its 23lb and very compact, this was a big consideration Power, cant say I need all that much but with a spl of 129 this is more than I will need Inputs, it has 2 which is fine by me as I use a mini mixer on my board anyway Expandable, if in the future I decide I need more ie either a line array or another box on a stick this is the ideal thing to reinforce it. So how does it sound? buggered if I know, Ive still got an injured finger and its killing me having it all set up and not being able to play..... well okay I did plug in and give it a go and a couple of things surprised me. I was concerned that feedback may be a problem but as you can see from the photo, i sat directly in front of it. less than 3 feet with the volume on noon and there wasn't a peep but man was it loud. I intend to gig with it directly behind me which should help even more as I will be blocking the direct line to the mike. There was a slight hiss from the speaker, which was a bit concerning. however it is slight and as soon as I was playing it simply wasn't noticeable. The clarity of the sound has amazed me and I will now have to revisit the settings on my pedals as I can hear every nuance. I had to stop after a few minutes due to pain but so far more than impressed, once I get my hand sorted, it will be making its debut at several local venues.

66434f9cb8dd0b77c1666e8f3a74d548.thumb.jpg.1d7c37862fb509a5033cd99bd33d5dc8.jpg

• Members

I bought a set of DBR12s a couple of years ago and couldn't be more satisfied. I usually use just one for old folks home gigs and like you said, the sound is clear and they can get loud. The bass response in the 12 version is really good too.

I've considered getting one DBR10 because they are even lighter in weight and I'm pretty sure the bass response is better than most 10" cabs. I just wish there were side handles instead of the one handle at the top.

• Members

Yes I feel the same about the side handle, having said that it is so light it isn't really an issue. Frustrated as hell that I still haven't to give it a work out yet, this is the longest, stupedist injury I have ever had.

Archived