Water water everywhere but ...

steve mac

• Moderators

apparently you have not been to a lot of concerts lately....the dinosaurs are even worse. The money from ancillary sales is key, but typically the venue/contractor is the one gouging the drink prices; some venues contract/franchise all the food and drink services, alleviating them of responsibility for many post concert claims.

Merch sales is the real cash cow...hoodies, tees, phone covers, lanyards, stickers, buttons, flashdrives, fanbooks...

In Bruno's case though, he is still riding high, dl sales, web music fees, etc. add up to a nice chunk of change...for now. Who knows what will it be like in five years when he is supplanted?

• Members
In Bruno's case though' date=' he is still riding high, dl sales, web music fees, etc. add up to a nice chunk of change...for now. Who knows what will it be like in five years when he is supplanted?[/quote']

It must be hard, when the gross income starts to decline, to thin out the expenses. All those hangers-on, and not all of them exactly in it for you. In five years, I'm guessing that Bruno will still be making a pretty penny, but maybe not enough to support the scale of enterprise that is Bruno Mars today.

• Members
apparently you have not been to a lot of concerts lately...

Your right, I was at a Maroon 5 one last year in Manchester England, this one was the Olympic Stadium Munich.

Based on ticket sales alone I would guess one night brought in around the million mark without adding in the "extras" having said that it must be a mammoth task putting on that show and moving it every night.

• Members

U2 kicked off their world tour here last Friday, and besides what I imagine were unreal food and booze prices, the venue's attempt to limit scalper's resulted in huge line-ups and many people missing the warm up act of Mumford and Sons. I guess depending on your point of view that was either bad, or good!

One cool thing though, was that U2 practiced here before the event, and if you stood outside the arena, about mid-afternoon, you could hear them rehearse. I didn't make it down, but I heard some recordings of it on the radio. It was pretty clear, even through the arena's walls. http://vancouversun.com/entertainment/music/sounds-of-u2-ring-through-downtown-vancouver-as-band-rehearses-at-b-c-place

A few years back, The Police (for their reunion tour) did the same thing at some soundstage IIRC. Practiced for a week or two, and folks could catch a listen.

• Moderators

The Rolling Stones are known for taking over bars and clubs here in LA to get 'small', so they can really be in touch with each other right before a tour....I had a buddy [now sadly deceased] who was able to get us in for some of these 'practice sessions'...almost impossible, but apparently he knew someone close to Ronnie Wood, and his name was on the very short list....usually the drinks were comped, too....

• Members

I saw Miranda Lambert at U Mass back in Feb. A 12 oz beer ( Coors) was 8 bucks. I think there 9 bucks at Fenway Park. You start grabbing a few hoodies, a hat and a T shirt and I have seen suits at Macy's sell for less. :D They could have gave away the tickets.

That merch sells like hot cakes too, you be surprised the number of peeps that will not buy a cd from you band, but will lay out some decent money swag.

If you're not sell merch at a table when you playing, your missing out.

Archived