Does this exist? A looper with separate outs, vocals and guitar???

multibusy

• Members

Is there a looper out there that has an output for 1/4 inch guitar, and another for xlr vocals, where hopefully you could use to loop vocals only or guitar only, or maybe sync both? I would like to route the signals separately, guitar to an amp, and vocals to a PA. I CANNOT find such a beast. Any ideas?

• Members

Thanks Big E. I was thinking more in terms of pedals though, for performance, this is why: I already use two iPads in my setup, one dedicated for OnSong and another to control a digital mixer. I doubt I can use either one to pull double duty, I wanna say they each need to be dedicated to their function exclusively...the OnSong one for the lyrics/chords, and the mixer control to interface continuously to the mixer (Presonus RM16). Your thoughts?

By the way, my setup is: guitar to effects to PA (or amp if using electric guitar). Vocals to TC Voicelive 2. PA goes to powered Mackie speakers.

I thought of getting two separate loopers, one for vocals, the other for guitar, but floor real estate is limited (as always). I already have the Voicelive and multieffects PodXT live...

Thanks all!

• Moderators

If you opt to go with 2 loopers, the TC Ditto is small enough, but synching two loopers will be nigh on to impossible [i know, I tried this when I got my Ditto and wanted to synch it to my Boss RC30...just ain't-a gunna hoppen...] I do believe the Boomerang III looper had multiple loop synch, but I don't know if it has two assignable outs; and they are pretty danged pricey and do take up some real estate..

• Members

Thanks for responding daddymack and onelife. Also bigE, I'm glad you found that link on thegearpage.net.

The two loopers I guess are not synch-able, so there goes that. The rc 505 is approx $500, so there goes that too....

The idea of using auxiliary channels from a mixer together with a single looper should work, I think. I don't necessarily want to loop both guitar and vocals simultaneously, but do need to have their outs be separately assignable.

Sooo...would the below "theory" work??? Your opinion would be appreciated very much...

I'm already running the vocals and the guitar to two different channels on the mixer.

I grab two aux outs from the mixer. One aux will carry the vocals only, the other the guitar only. I route the aux outs into the two inputs of the stereo looper, Left and Right.(The looper has stereo ins and outs, the Electro Harmonix 720.) The two outs would then go to two different channels on the mixer, with their separate EQ, etc.

Does this make sense? Or is it even feasible? Thanks again guys.

• Members

I'm not familiar with the EH720 but here's a simple approach that would work with a single channel looper.

Since you are planning to use one source or the other you could use one aux out to feed the looper. By adjusting the aux sends for the different channels on your mixer you could have the vocals, guitar or a combination of both go through the looper.

• Moderators

I'm sure if you had midi capable loopers you could synch them...And I agree tha tif you are not looping both vocals and instrument at the same time, then you only need one looper [i was looking to do some deep vocal and guitar layering which just never worked out]. You could use an AB-Y arrangement.

• Members

I think this is what I'll do, thanks onelife and daddymack, you guys worded it so simply it's brilliant almost! Wonder why I was having such a hard time figuring out what to do?

On another note,I just returned the second DittoX2 due to issues, don't know if it's the components or the design ...recording the initial loop provided me with a violent "POP" every single time when the LOOP switch was engaged, although recording the subsequent layers went normal. (I kept testing to a bare minimum after the issue started, didn't want the speakers to keel over too.)

So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed on the EH720. I am getting credit once the Ditto is delivered to the music place, so I don't have the EH720 yet. After reading tons of reviews, the DittoX2 sounded great, but not quite true in my particular experience. So does the EH720, very good reviews. But I guess that there can always be a couple of defectives in any batch of production electronics.

I WISH there were a good, dependable quality looper that has gone through the test of time (BOSS maybe?). I'd be willing to spend a bit extra for a dependable, sturdy looper pedal with the configuration of the DittoX2 or the EH720-separate Loop and Stop switches. Guess I'm going off topic, but do you guys have any recommendations?

• Moderators

I really like my Boss RC 30, it just does 10x more than I finally realized I actually needed [and ate up a lot of real estate]; whereas the original Ditto looper turned out to be adequate to my needs....and I may be convinced to part with it...PM me if interested.

• Members

I've just picked up a lightly used Boss VE-8 to play around with. It has two XLR balanced, two 1/4" line, and one 1/8" stereo headphone outputs. The XLR and line outputs are assignable in multiple ways, including stereo vocal to one set and stereo guitar to the other. You can also assign mono, wet/dry, etc. This is the first looper I've had, it gives you 80 sec worth of recording time. Vocal and guitar inputs have independent effects and looping capability, but it is mixed to a single loop channel, not two separate ones. The drawback with the looper is that it takes a double tap on the loop button to erase, but you can connect an external footswitch to make it a single tap - it supports 2 external footswitch inputs via a stereo jack (assignable to various functions). I have a non-Boss footswitch that seems to work but it also makes it do some wierd cycling thru settings that I haven't quite figured out yet. You can download the owners manual at https://www.boss.info/us/support/by_product/ve-8/owners_manuals/. I'd suggest demoing one to see if the looper does what you need it to, but from the manual the assignable outputs should work per your initial post (I haven't yet tested output assignments, I've got the default setting of stereo XLR outs into a PA mixer right now). BTW, I'm a long time lurker at HC, but I don't make my living doing music (it's my therapy!). I finally had something to contribute so I registered - I've found the discussions here both informative and entertaining, so thanks y'all!

• Members

The TC-Helicon VoiceLive Touch does looping of guitar and vocals. It has effects for both vocals and guitar and a harmonizer for generating harmonies and pitch correction if you need it. It mounts right to the microphone stand and has mixing functions for adjusting guitar and vocal levels. http://www.tc-helicon.com/en/products/voicelive-touch/looping/

The TC-Helicon VoiceLive Play does this and a bit more. It is a floor pedal. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VLPlay

TC-Helicon specializes in tools for singers in a solo or duos. I see a lot of people using them.

Archived