Scam Alert

Shaster

• Members

There is a scam making the rounds in Vancouver BC, that is probably happening elsewhere. A client contacts you and says he wants to book you for a family reunion. Then he says his uncle can only send one cheque. So he or "his uncle" sends you a deposit cheque and asks you to pay the "event planner" out of that. One of the older scams going, with a new target - musicians. This scam mainly targets bands with slick looking websites, as these bands often play big events (real ones) with considerable dollars involved.

Anyway, that's the scoop.

daddymack, don't know if this should be posted in any other forum but feel free if you want.

• Moderators

honestly, who in their right mind would think of that? And who would fall for the 'please pay the planner immediately from these funds' ploy?

So send me a check, and I pay someone else...and what do I do with the left over money? Keep it? Of course the check is no good to begin with, but I would wait until it cleared, wouldn't I? And I would pay the event planner how? With cash? Anyone lame enough to fall for this deserves to get screwed, frankly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

ah, as in the Anselmo Pederasty Case...

[Firesign Theatre reference...] and...OMG..led me to this...someone has a great sense of the bizarre...

https://www.linkedin.com/in/anselmo-pederasty-0764459/

about a decade ago I ran a series of posts regarding my 'business dealings' with the 'Government of Benin'...not sure if they are still archived. Anderton reminded me of this when he and Dendy and I met in Nashville last year...I led the Scammers on for several days regarding a shipment of excess chemicals...it was amusing to put them on the spot...

Archived